Mini WSM from a ham fisted tinkerer

Sandy B

TVWBB Super Fan
Well with the holidays gave me the chance to try and build a mini. If anyone reading this is one the fence, I'd completely recommend trying it. On the scale of mini WSM's I've seen mine is about a 7/10 but if I had to make another I'm sure the experience would bump it up. I have to say that on the
"handy" scale I generously rate myself a 2/10.

I think that by now a lot of people are familiar with the " standard" build. I used the vasconia pot ( about 30 bucks delivered). the taping was what scared me the most, I was really, really scared that it would bleed through ( I bought the cheapest masking tape from home depot) so I doubled up on the thickness which made cutting it way herder than it should have been, I'm pretty sure from now on I'm doing the single ply ( with appropriate overlap).

I layed down two layers of tape then printed out the logo and taped it down before the cutting

After a few stops and starts here is what it looked like

I drilled the holes ( 8 mm they didnt have the 1/4 SS acorn nuts) about 4 1/4 from the top and used the right SS hardware ( hex bolt, nut, washer on the inside) and SS acorn nut on the outside. Taped these off with tape from the inside.

I've seen a lot of people use grocery bags to protect the inside. After I cut out the bottom with a jigsaw I decided to go with a lattice of the tape on both the top and the bottom. It seemed way easier than taping the bag. Here is the pot being sprayed

I will say this, the painting part was the part that scared me the most. I used the VHT engine enamel (red) and the first time I sprayed it I went WAY TOO HEAVY. It ended up running which was a pain. that could be largely rectified using 800 grit wet sanding ( from autozone). After I " fixed" it the second and third coats were much easier.

I also wanted to keep with the hockey theme with the smoker and never liked the carriage bolt for the top vent so I got a scrap piece of poplar from HD ( $1.15) and drew out a stick, cut it with a jigsaw and then used my neighbors sander and after drilling a hole in the top vent I screwed the stick on the top. I know that today no one uses a real wood stick anymore so I debated painting it black to approximate carbon fiber but decided to keep it old school. The weight of the stick does not impede the working of the top vent at all. here are some pics of the finished product. I'll probably season it tonight and possible try a cook on it tomorrow. I had hoped to have it ready for habs leafs tonight but the painiting snafu set me back.

Yeah the paint lines are not perfectly straight, I don't have a coal basket yet but all in all it was fun to make. I'll have to see if it keeps temp well. if it doesnt I still have a nice conversation piece.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday.

I'll be interested to see how the red paint holds up on the lower part of the pot.

I'll let you know. I rubbed the inside down with peanut oil and did a minion with 15 lit coals in the middle with apple and there are ZERO leaks at the bottom and the top has a small leak due to the wire for the ET-732.

The dome thermometer ( which I generally do not trust) seems to be serendipitously set pretty close.
If the temps are stable, it looks like the planned cook tomorrow will be on.

Nice job Sandy!
When do we get to see it in action? What are your planning to cook on it first?

Nice job Sandy!
When do we get to see it in action? What are your planning to cook on it first?

I've been doing the temp check/seasoning for a couple of hours ( i coated the pot with peanut oil) and it has been rock steady for this time. I'm gonna keep monitoring it and if it looks tight, then I have some ribs ready to go tomorrow. plus if its not, at the very least it will help cure the paint and the ribs will go on the 18.5.

the one good thing is that by doing the tape lattice instead of the bag, even after all of the spraying not a single speck of paint in the inside. My wife was ( reasonably) concerned about this and she looked it over before the burn in and she was satisfied.

A Habs fan in Kansas? :) How did that happen?

we are everywhere, but I'm a habs fan by birth. The best thing about being a hockey fan in kansas is no matter who you follow you never have to worry about blackouts.

And I don't want to speak out of turn here but I'll just say that as soon as I actually started building it, the habs went on a tear. Coincidence ? I'll let you decide.

Back