Meat Grinder

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
Wanting to buy my own meat and grind it myself as well as make my own sausages. Have no experience in this at all and I am wondering what grinder others are using and what their thoughts are about them. Would like to keep it under $200 or so. Just want something that will do the job and will last for the long haul. Thanks

If you already have a KitchenAid stand mixer, they sell a nice grinder attachment ($49.95 at Amazon). You'll also want the sausage stuffer kit ($12.75 at Amazon).

Used to have one but I crapped out on me a few years ago and never got another. Didn't use it enough to warrant buying another at the time.

Take a look at cabelas grinders. Top notch with metal gears. I would forego the kitchen aid for grinding. I burned out the gear box in my first one grinding meat. I have since gotten a Kitchener grinder from Northern Tool (also has metal gears) and once it dies, I will be upgrading to one of the cabelas ones.

America's Test Kitchen did a review of meat grinders a few years ago and their top rated one was the Waring Pro Professional Meat Grinder MG 800. This one has been replaced by the MG 855 which is on Amazon for $147.14.

FWIW; I've got a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer and use the attachment to grind burgers and sausage. That is the way to go IF you have the KA. The Waring gets good marks from Amazon buyers.

As far as manual grinders are concerned, the U.S. made Chop Rite is the one to get. Otherwise experienced sausage makes have stated the the ones from Czechoslovakia, PORKERT, are the best and can be found at ebay for a fraction of the price.. And their parts are probably interchangeable with the Chop Rites.

Hi, I have a Kenwood meat grinder, made in England, maybe you can find one in the States, the reason I said that is when I first started grinding meat and making sausages I bought a cheapo grinder and it quickly burned out. The reason being, after I had bought it, I learned to grind meat successfully it needs to be semi frozen, so don't waste your money on a cheapo, also I tried stuffing with my Kitchen Aid, what a pain, the clearance isn't close enough to force the meat out the stuffing tube, but rather comes back up the fill tube, I've read where people have successfully used their KA to stuff, but I doubt it will work with an emulsified meat like hot dogs, my first and only attempt to stuff with the KA took 3 hours for 5 lbs of meat, I bought a dedicated sausage stuffer from Grizzly and now 5 lbs takes about 10 minutes.

FWIW,

Karl

We have a KA pro series mixer. It's a little more powerful than the Artisan model that most people have. It does a really good job of grinding meat.
I also have the sausage stuffer attachment. I've only used it once and it was quite the PIA! I'll give it another try sometime.

Back