Clean Up

S.M. Swanny

TVWBB Member
Any good tips to make the after cook clean up easier? Anyone know if using Pam or oil on the grates helps much?

Had a large cook over the weekend and got thinking about this yesterday.

Thanks.

Steve

Hey S.M., I spray a little Pam on my racks before using but there still crud stuck on after. But its nothing a scotchbrite pad, dishwashing liquid & a garden hose could'nt take care of. As for the rest of the WSM the crud build inside is Ok to leave. It helps with the seal and temperature of the unit. Just rinse off the outside of the WSM with a little soapy water. (After it's cold of course)

Hi Steve,

i use two or three times a year a spray what we called in Europe "Dr.Becher", this is a proffesional claener company for Restaurants and kitchens.May, so you look in US for the nearly same like this.I can buy this in a special Market for Restaurants owners.

I love picking the pieces of pork butt stuck to the grate and eating them while I carry the grate into the house to be cleaned. Tastes great!

I fire up the gasser and put my smoker grates in the gaseer on high for a few minutes to burn off any "leftovers"

I use the minimulist approach.... The morning after a cook: A) Remove ash & retain reusable coals on grate B) Dump water pan & wipe out with paper towel C) Wire-brush both grates ...VIOLA! As my ole Pappy used ta say, "If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum."
wsmsmile8gm.gif

This may be a little crude but I lean the grates up against the fence and let the dogs lick them clean. They clean them up pretty good.

Then I come back after a couple of hours and wash them with soap and water.

Michelob.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike "Michelob" Clarke:
This may be a little crude but I lean the grates up against the fence and let the dogs lick them clean. They clean them up pretty good.

Then I come back after a couple of hours and wash them with soap and water.
The dogs must love you,or when you Q

Michelob. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To clean ALL my grates; WSM, Kettles, Belson BBQ, I just wad up a piece of aluminum foil and use it like a grill brush. IMO the grill brushes are not worth the money...

joe

Dump the ash. Put the unburnt coals, coal grate and ring aside. Fill the waterpan with boiling water. Reassemble WSM, put the cover on, and close all four vents. Let sit one hour to self-steam. Cleaning up with a bucket of soapy water is so much easier this way.

I use Pam spray on my racks. When I am done I knock the big stuff off and put them and my water pan in the dishwasher. They come out real clean. I am going to try the aluminum foil - great idea!

Back