Build! A couple questions...deflector, charcoal basket

LinusT

Greetings! Got into smoking Bostons a couple months ago...been using my Broilmaster gas grill with its built-in smoke shutter, but keeping temps down (even with the lid propped open 1/2") is a challenge...the 8 hr slow cook, though, has cooked up some nice pulled pork!

Over the summer, saw a Smokey Joe mod on a camping trip, so a few google searches later, I ended up on this great site!

About to embark on a build...I have a (well used) SJG gathering dust in the garage. Found the IMUSA pot @ Target. My plans...
  • charcoal grate from a 18.5" grill at the bottom of the steamer. This grate just drops below the retaining rim in the steamer. I plan to sit the heat deflector on this.
  • 14" cooking grill #1 on the retaining rim
  • 14" cooking grill #2 on 3 bolts 4" below the steamer rim

Questions
  • For the heat deflector, I can use either a 11.5" terra cotta liner or the 11" Zenker tart tin. I've seen mention of the terra cotta liner soaking up a lot of heat, making for a much slower rise in heat and consuming more fuel (see next question). Can anyone quantify the differences they've observed? Pros/Cons of either approach?
  • Charcoal basket: Most of the write-ups show a basket the diameter of the charcoal grate, about 10"...I'm starting with a basket about 8" in diameter...how much cooking time difference might I see (using briquets to start)

Thanks!

I went the UDS approach so drippings can hit the coals for added flavor and still diffuse the heat so i just kept the pot as is and used the steamer rack in it's designed place but cut the bottom out of the pot.

If you can see below the meat...that's just the steamer. By doing that the juices reach the charcoal and gives back good flavor. I have perfect temp control and cook from 200* to 350-400*

I've never understood why folks feel the need to do these tera pots and such but to each his own i suppose. I have 2 cooking grates and if i ever do want to put a pot in i can just sit it right on the steamer.

I did a charcoal basket made from the charcoal grate...it just has expanded steel wrapped around it in two sections and wire tied. These things are perfect little smokers.

Back