Insulating blanket/sleeve...

Earl P (BamZipPow)

TVWBB Member
Any thoughts about making an insulating blanket to surround the tamale pot? Been thinking about picking up some fiberglass insulation to surround the pot with and then cover it with some aluminum flashing to protect the blanket from debris and impacts. Maybe I could rob an old modern oven fer the insulation from a metal recycling place. :D

With an insulating blanket in place, internal temps should be very stable in any weather condition (cold, windy, snowing, drizzle, fog, hot, etc) with the exception of a downpour directly on the Weber. ;)

Looks like I'll need about 46" of insulation to surround the pot and at least 52" of flashing to cover it. ;)

I would use some ceramic insulation but the cost becomes almost outrageous (~$60 off of eBay shipped fer some 1/2" ceramic wool blanket). :(

If the outside stayed cool enough, one could use a fabric cover over the flashing. With this blanket setup, it would very easy to switch out the covers to support your favorite collegiate football team on Saturday and your professional football team on Sunday. :D

What do you think about this idea/concept? ;)

If it works fer water heaters, ovens, and professional smokers, it should work fer the mini WSM, right?

I wonder what the thermal factor needs to be... ;)

Here's a pic of Harry Soo's mini DIY WSM with a fiberglass welding blanket. He used it in Lancaster, CA when the overnight low was 38º. His fiancé, Donna, sewed on some velcro to secure it in place and altered the overall dimensions somewhat. I'm sure if you inquire about it on his FB fan page, he'll give you more details.

1379646_10151710098846586_915325169_n.jpg

Back