Throwdown #17: Pork Tenderloin

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Mildo for winning Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip! Hard to believe that the guy from the Czech Republic who had to find a tri-tip imported from the U.S. was able to pull off the win, but he did. Amazing!

As the winner, Mildo has the privilege of choosing the next throwdown ingredient...PORK TENDERLOIN!

To avoid any confusion about the cut of meat we're talking about, a pork tenderloin is the smallish cut that looks like this photo by Tony R:

21C30FDC-561D-4C32-979C-930296C98F2A-5518-000002B5D75F6FD3_zps6d913ba8.jpg

NOT the larger pork LOIN cut that looks like this photo by Chad M:

IMG_1183.jpg

Let's run this throwdown until December 1 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Good luck!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

Dang, I'm cooking one for some friends coming over on Wednesday, but no time for pictures etc. Too bad I can't get some ideas from the challenge cook to do............oh, well. Looks like the second picture by Chad might be a pork tenderloin that has been stuffed so that it just appears larger...........................d

Can I be a knucklehead and re-post my stuffed loin from a few weeks ago? :) Nah, I'm not gonna do that...

No half-@$$, last-minute, "I was busy on the weekend" excuses this time.

Hmmmmmm....I think I smell....bacon?

To be continued....

I'm in.
Last time I couldn't find a tri tip at my local store. That was my fault for leaving the tri tip cook until the last minute.

I'm in.
Last time I couldn't find a tri tip at my local store. That was my fault for leaving the tri tip cook until the last minute.

Tony, you already have a photo in post #1, so you only get 9 more. LOL!

Good luck!!!

I want to do this cook, but afraid that Thanksgiving, coupled with a few other things, may get in the way, and I even know what I want to do:(...........................d

New England Pork Tenderloin Dinner

Hey,
Here is my first attempt in the Challenge Pit. I went with some classic New England flavors. As it turns out, pork tenderloin is on sale this week near me! Here is the star of the show:

And the supporting cast:

The steak seasoning is salt, pepper, garlic, onion, paprika and celery seed. A good base for most rubs. I added rosemary to it. The garlic and dill are for the potatoes. The jarred apples are from apple picking a few weeks ago and they are spiced for apple pie. Those warmed off camera in a mini crock pot with a splash of OJ.

Grilled with KBB. The wood to the side are some pieces of apple branches from my parent's house. These nuggets work great for things like this. I put them on the coals when the meat goes on.

Seasoned and ready to go.

Potatoes with EVOO, chopped garlic and dill:

A quick sear.

Then indirect for about 20-30 minutes.

Pulled and rested when it was just shy of 160.

Sliced.

Your plate.

Thanks for looking!

-Jeff

Nice first entry into Throwdown JS;)!
But I have a question: why the meat is cooked to 160:confused:? Pork tenderloin is sufficient internal temperature 140-145, then remains more juicy (I learned here, once!)... but on the other hand, i have to say, that this

IMAG0283_zpsa56fac7e.jpg

looks absolutely delicious;)

If weather permits, I'll cook something (still do not know what) the next weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks Mildo! Just ignorance on my end on the cooking temp. I know the guidance was updated to lower the temp required... Use to be 170! This came out good, but will pull it a little sooner based on your advice. Nice call on this throwdown and congrats on your previous win!

Teriyaki Glazed Pork Tenderloin and Pineapple Skewers

null_zps2e18c877.jpg

Smoke was provided by my peach tree. Cooked to 140*F just for Mildo :)

null_zps6683bd0f.jpg

Paired with AB's Belgian White brewed with Orange Peel and Coriander.

null_zpsa6faae1b.jpg

Last edited:
The old thermometers have that give the name of the meat next to the temp list pork at 170...it was the dark ages!

Dwain, yours looks great! Love the pineapple! Nice touch!

The old thermometers have that give the name of the meat next to the temp list pork at 170...it was the dark ages!
I had one of those few days, but quickly went into the trash.
Look at Dwains thermometer - this is what you need. And believe that I'm not the seller Thermapens. (But take red, which is the fastest;))

Yes Dwain, I was thinking also of the skewer - a good choice. Your Teriyaki Glazed Pork Tenderloin and Pineapple Skewers looks delicious.
It's fast meat. It can be cooked in several ways. Now just to find one with which to win:D. But maybe it's yours, I do not know;). Pork tenderloin is the best meat from a pig and I'll try to figure something out too.

Sweet Money Bacon Weave Tenderloin

I wanted my to make my entry stand out, so I decided to try something I hadn't done before with pork tenderloin or pork loin. I started off with a couple of nice Seaboard PrairieFresh tenderloins I found at a local supermarket. Each weighed a little over 1.5 pounds. I trimmed off a sufficient amount of outer fat and silver skin.

IMG_9_zpscbac28c6.jpg

Pork tenderloin is a very lean cut and can dry out easily if cooked too fast or overcooked, so I used a marinade injection in order to retain moisture and add another component to the overall flavor profile. The marinade contains white grape juice, agave nectar, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, and a little of my own pork BBQ rub (without the usual Spanish paprika added).

IMG_10_zpse1347fce.jpg

I decided to go with a sweeter flavor profile over a savory one after some thought. I used Big Poppa Smokers Sweet Money Rub, Simply Marvelous Pecan, and SM Sweet Seduction. BPS Sweet Money isn't really that much sweeter than regular Money Rub (IMO); however, it does lack some of the more savory & peppery notes that I wanted to avoid. Layered with SM Pecan & Sweet Seduction, it hit all the points that I was hoping for. I seasoned the outside of the tenderloins thoroughly and then I wrapped them in plastic film and refrigerated them for a couple of hours.

IMG_8_zpsa379f86f.jpg

After the tenderloins chilled for a couple of hours I was ready to pull out all the stops and add a bacon weave! I used Farmer John's regular cut bacon and started barding the tenderloins. I rewrapped the tenderloins and returned them to the fridge for another hour or so. This was going to be an epic cook.

IMG_6_zpsffaef7bc.jpg

I fired up the new mini WSM (I want to get that thing seasoned) and brought it up to 225º. I used apple and hickory wood because I like the flavor they add to pork. I wanted to slowly smoke the tenderloins and allow the smoke to impart plenty of flavor. Once I felt the tenderloins had enough smoke flavor I turned the fire up to 300º to give the bacon a nice crisper finish.

IMG_3_zpsa00cfa2d.jpg

The tenderloins were done at ~145º, but my wife likes her pork's juices to run clear; thus, I pulled them off at 150º and they rose another 5º while they rested. The bacon tightened & crisped up really nice at the higher finish pit temp.

IMG_5_zps540efffd.jpg

I let the tenderloins rest a bit while my wife prepared a nice asparagus salad, cornbread stuffing (Mrs. Cubbisons) and some homemade scalloped potatoes (the mandolin slicer is awesome!). Once all the side were prepared, it was time for the moment of truth. Oooh, look at that smoke ring through the bacon! This was going to be good...

IMG_7_zps9f72a467.jpg

Let's slice the other one now...

IMG_11_zps6249152e.jpg

The table is just about set...

IMG_4_zps464c3778.jpg

Dinner time...

IMG_1_zps108b9419.jpg

We had a fantastic dinner that night. My wife loved the tenderloin and told me, of all the food I cook for our family that this was no doubt her favorite that I've ever made. I'm more of a beef/steak/tri tip guy, but I do agree with her somewhat. This recipe is definitely going to be repeated during the holidays.

Thank you for taking a look and I anticipate some great entries to be posted in the coming weeks. Good luck, everyone.

Back