Ruhlman's Kitchen Essentials

I'm with him on the tool list, if not the brands (I loathe All-Clad and would not go back to European knives if you paid me - but am a huge fan of Microplane zesters, and one of the mandolins I have is that Benriner he notes).

To that list I would add an immersion blender (I have a couple Braun Multiquicks that are no longer available; I'd recommend one with a chopper attachment as they're the nut for vinaigrettes, among other things); an unenameled cast iron Dutch oven (because it works well inside and out on the WSM or kettle); a good balloon whisk, and a good flat whisk; an EdgePro Apex knife sharpening system; and a Sumeet Asian Kitchen dry and wet grinder, for grinding spices and making pastes.

I'm sure there are a few other things I'm not thinking of...

I really like Kevin's additions. Especially the Edge Pro.

I used to use a Wusthof chef's knife that we got for a wedding gift. But I bought a Shun Ken Onion 7" Santoku for Christmas a few years back and I would never go back. I also have the Shun Ken Onion paring knife. But I went cheap on my bread knife (Marshall's) and I use a filet knife that's made for fishermen.

I don't like All-Clad because you can't pour from them without dribbling. And I find very little need for fully tri-ply cookware. I actually have a set of bottom-only-clad cookware from Wolfgang Puck. I really like them. If you don't need good heat transfer from the sides, bottom-clad is just fine.

In addition to a good mixer and food processor, you need a good blender. A lot of Mexican and Tex-Mex sauces need to be blended finer than a food processor will do it.

I also went cheap on my dutch oven, buying a Cuisenart version at Marshall's for way way less than the ubiquitous Le Creuset.

Two of my cast iron skillets were family hand-me-downs. But I bought a big one on eBay. Look for a Wagner that's not necessarily a collectible.

I love my D-handle old school Pyrex measuring cups. Also off eBay. The newer ones are pretty useless. Lots of unmeasured volume make them inaccurate in my book. And the metric side is printed on the side I normally look at, making me not use the handle.

My favorite Weber accessory is the cast iron grill plate/griddle for my Genesis. I use it all the time.

Of all things, I'm looking for a decent slotted cooking spoon. Most are too bulky, taking up too much room in my drawer, or they aren't deep enough or something...

All-clad does have some annoying drawbacks such as the price and the majorly annoying handles but I noticed something in a w-s catalog that they have changed the design. I'm still waiting for a reasonable competitor to go after all-clad and make things more competitive. For my large frying pan, I saved a ton of money and chose the ja henckles international which seems similarly constructed as the all-clad but at about 50% of the price. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any other pieces in this line.

As for essential tools, I love my blended. Since I started putting canning jars onto the base, I use it to grind spices, make pesto and vinegrettes and other sauces and dressings. I'm trying to track down the sumeet grinder, but until I do, my cuisnart blender is they way to go.

Also, I love my adcraft hd tongs. Because they're dirt cheap, I have every size and a bunch of the longest size. One pair I leave with my kettle and its dedicated to moving coals. And I have a pair at each of the people's houses that I cook at the most so I don't have to bring mine with me.

There are several A-C competitors, some of whom are reasonable. Try Sur a Table and see if they still have a proprietary line. I believe they do. Me, I've never been fond of S/S cookware, much preferring anodized aluminum, though in most places I cook I cook with S/S or copper (tends to be Viking, Bourgeat, Mauviel, et al.). In my homes it's Calphalon.

I'm with you on the tongs. And with Steve on the Pyrex cups and a good blender.

And I'd add a Thermapen to the list.

If you can get past it ($$$) stop waiting and try at least one piece of copper like Mauviel or Falk. After years of cooking on good quality stainless, vintage cast iron, and good quality anodized aluminum I tried my first piece of Falk. A 10" skillet bought used. What an awesome piece of equipment. Wish I had tried it sooner. Not that I'd want or think all my pieces need to be copper, just never realized what pro copper was like. Totally beyond anything I thought or imagined. Love this thing. Will probably buy at least 1 or 2 more pieces to keep in the tool kit.

I have an immersion blender that you don't see in the stores often. It's nice size physically and has the typical attachments, but very powerful for it's size. Using it now for 2 years or so without any problems.

L'quip 550 Watt

How about a good, cheap potato masher:

I like the kind made with the zig-zag of heavy-guage wire. Great if you like your mashed spuds a little chunky - even better for guac!

You might have to work-it-over a few times if you want it smooth - but it will go through the first, harder mashing more easily than other types.

I find the ones with the waffle-iron holes nearly useless.

Ray- Pro copper is great. I cook with a lot of Mauviel (but don't have to deal with the upkeep, fortunately - they have housekeepers for that).

Ron- I prefer a ricer for mashed - but I do like a masher for guac. I'm with you on the holed ones.

I dislike most anything in plastic but I do like Unicorn mills, a rare moment that I agree with Cook's Illustrated about anything.

Tongs! I love my Zyliss Cook-N-Serve Tongs because they have a thumb slide for locking them one-handed.
31j%2BwAvzhtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I also want to add my Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer. When you need to punch up a flank steak or the like, this puppy will do it with authority.
41Qd2KvZMLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No clean up - lucky you. You just get to have all the fun, eh?
icon_biggrin.gif

Well general clean up is so easy. Nothing seems to stick on the Falk stainless coating on the inside (Mauviel uses Falk material from what I understand?).

I know several cooks that say that you really don't need to worry about the copper being kept shiny, it works just fine tarnished.

The Falks has a brushed finish that shines simply with standard mild copper cleaners. Mauviel has that glossy/mirror surface. PIA to keep it that way IMHO and not worth the trouble?

Originally posted by Ron G.:
How about a good, cheap potato masher:

I like the kind made with the zig-zag of heavy-guage wire. Great if you like your mashed spuds a little chunky - even better for guac!

You might have to work-it-over a few times if you want it smooth - but it will go through the first, harder mashing more easily than other types.

I find the ones with the waffle-iron holes nearly useless.

Well, on the masher - I like the one with the waffle iron holes. Might have to do with the size? Been doing mine lumpy or smooth with the same square hole masher for over 30 years.

For guac, don't like it. I actually use one of those pie dough cutters for that for years. Works great IMHO for chunky or more smooth guac and quickly too.

Yup, shiny is all about appearances, not cooking. But many don't like to polish it to keep it up. I go through a lot of pans when I cook. Gotta clean them - but others do the polishing.

I agree with Kevin about a good pepper mill. My go-to unit is this one:

http://www.wmboundsltd.com/shopexd.asp?id=70568

The chrome & acrylic makes it a bit of a pain to keep clean, but I like the ring around the top that "clicks" between three settings - regular, coarse, & nicely cracked. It also holds a decent amount, and you can tell when it's running-low on pepper.

Back