my new mini wsm

Dan.Heerts

Hey guys. I just acquired all the "pieces parts" needed to assemble my own mini wsm. I got the Smokey Joe Gold, a 32 quart IMUSA tamale steamer pot, etc etc. I got it pretty much all put together, and the base of the pot fits perfectly and snug into the smokey joe gold base......BUT...the smokey joe gold LID is too small to go onto the pot top..I mean WAY to small...Like I figured if I applied some "manly" pressure all the way around it would push on eventually..but NO GO.....so what have you guys done to make your lids fit your pot? I am thinking of taking a hammer to the lip of the pot and denting it back a bit.

Any thoughts or advice would be awesome

Thanks
Dan

Dan, for my build, I first made the mistake of buying the Imusa 32 qt pot separately from a local WalMart assuming it would fit with my SMJ Gold grill. As you found, my SMJ Gold lid was too small. I tried to crimp it as suggested here but I was not satisfied with the appearance and fit. I ended up cutting off the crimped rim with a hack saw, using a file to smooth the cut edges, and am now searching CL for a sacrificial SMJ Silver grill. As suggested by someone in an earlier Forum post, I am going to convert the SMJ Silver's base to a taller lid by taking off its legs and replacing them with purchased hi-temp seals and a Genie garage door handle for a second Mini-smoker.

Following a suggestion I read on the Forum, I then took my SMJ Gold to WalMart with me and selected an Imusa pot from the 10 or so on display. One pot fit perfectly - btw - most of the pots did not fit but several did, so just keep searching until you find one that fits.

Good luck with your build! I really like my SMJG mini and I am getting materials together right now to build three for Christmas gifts to my son and two sons-in-law. I am going to try and paint their college logos on the individual pots as done by some of the other posters here.

Last edited:
Finesse is what you need and neither a hammer or hacksaw fit that bill. I'm a huge fan of the clamp method it worked like a charm on my IMUSA pot.
You could get the same results with pliers *IF* you're careful and use wooden pads between the pot and plier teeth.

THanks guys...After about 20 minutes with an "F" style clamp and slowly clamping and pinching all the way around, I got the lid to fit....Right now it's a nice tight fit, I may do a little more pinching so the lid removes just a tad easier..But I am happy with the results. I do appreciate the help.

Next issue I am having is paint!! I have done tons of paint (spraying) in my career, and this pot has some serious issues. My standard protocol with painting aluminum is to first wash and dry the pot with dawn dish detergent as it does the best job of cleaning any left over mold residue, oils, etc. Then I clean the aluminum with straight white vinegar. and let it sit and dry. I shot the entire IMUSA pot with primer gray "etching" primer. two light coats an hour apart. I notice the color, as it dried would dry in different "shades" of grey. some dark splotches. So I let it dry for 24 hours, and felt the primer...feels very very rough, almost like sand paper. So I decided to wet sand the surface to smooth it out, before doing the finish coat....problem is NOW, the primer is actually sanding completely off the pot. WHAT THE ?????? I've never seen this before.

If anyone has any painting advice they can give me, that would be awesome.

Dan

You'll want to run around the pot with the clamp again. Why? Because I did what you did and left a nice-n-snug fit. Problem is, when you add heat to the pot it expands. Makes removing the lid during the cook kinda interesting. After I ran around the pot a second time with the clamp, it's been perfect ever since.

I'm more of a stain/lacquer guy and have sprayed tons of that stuff, but remember - these are rattle cans. Pretty thin stuff. I'm not surprised to hear you sanded through. If it was peeling, THAT would be bad. At least with sand through you can shoot additional primer. Me, I'd just head to your color and get the show on the road. I've got a ton of time invested into my pot logo/painting and the only thing I'd change is adding the clear coat on top. If you're not doing a decal, it's probably not needed then.

Keep us posted on the progress. :)

Chad..I think that's what I'm gonna do...tomorrow I'll finish a little with the wet sanding..and call it good...wipe it all down again, let it dry a bit, and then go with the top coats and call it good. I'm not doing any decal or stencil, so no clear coat needed. :)

Thanks to all you guys..my new MINI is all together and ready for it's maiden smoke this coming weekend.

I have some photos..but when I choose the add from your computer, I don't see anyway to add them. Do I have to have the photos hosted somewhere??

Ok.....here are some photos of my new WSM MINI build. Pretty much standard construction of what everyone else does...used all stainless steel hardware, and a 12 inch clay pot base for the diffuser.

yup..I liked your stainless drawer pull for the top vent..so I picked up one of those, and then I did weld my expanded metal basket together, otherwise I was going to crimp the edges over like you did, but my welder was sitting here, so......we welded.

Back