first tri tip tonight, 2 and 1/2 pounds

i live in los angeles and i am a disgrace because i have never had tri tip before.

i made a rub i found online. its rubbed and sitting in the fridge. ill leave it there for a couple of hours.

question about how to cook it. some do it indirect all the way at 325 degrees for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours.

others do it direct over the flame for around 30 minutes. they turn it every 5 minutes or so but by the pictures it just looks burnt on the outside, but they swear by this method.

just not sure which way i should do this.

also, fat side up or down when i first put it on the grill?

Brady, if you're gonna cook that TT for an hour & a half, you should make jerky out of it instead.
Sear it over DIRECT medium heat for about 10 minutes turning halfway during that time...
Then INDIRECT medium heat until the INTERNAL temp hits about 135'F for a medium rare point (about 25 minutes).
Once it hits the 135'F temp, take it off the grill and foil-tent it for at least 5-8 minutes.
You'll LOVE the Tri-Tip.
I'm doing one on Easter Sunday.
Talking and thinking about TT is makin' me hungry!!
icon_biggrin.gif

GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS!

Jim is dead on like a chicken bone!!! To me TT is a big ole steak, therefore cook it like one!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I have had better results cooking them on the grill at 275 to 300* dome temp indirect till the tri tip is 110-115* internal and then sear it to 135*.

wow, i think i have a new farovite cut of red meat. it probably passed carne asada which has always been my favorite.

i just used rub and kingsford, no wood chunks/chips and no marinade.

im still learning my performer and whe whole time the temp was over 300. i used my thermopen and took it out at 135.

tomorrow i will use leftovers for tacos.

Whoa, John! I like your thinking... I'm doing a TT Sunday, Think I'm going your way this time.
That Sounds Great!

Well Brady Mr Martin, I'm glad you enjoyed that cut of beef many people frown upon thinking "it's-just-a-roast-and-I'll-throw-it-in-the-slow-cooker-for-5-hours"
icon_biggrin.gif

A number of years ago someone close to me said those exact words and I love grinding it in her face every now and then. (BTW, it's has since been her "new favourite cut of red meat").
icon_razz.gif

i refuse to post pictures of my cooks here because im a beginner at grilling and your guys cooks ALWAYS look way more awesome and impressive.

I think I ate about 1/3 of that delicious meat by myself with some grilled onions.

CIMG1399.jpg

Brady,did you do it on the stove? Just kidding.Nice job grilling. Say Jim L. where were you able to get TT here in Racine/Milwaukee? I would like to get some.

Tritip is a rare animal in these parts, but Brady, your pics make me want to hunt one down now! Congrats on a happy grilling experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
Say Jim L. where were you able to get TT here in Racine/Milwaukee? I would like to get some. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Say Chuck
icon_biggrin.gif
Find TRIs at Sendiks.
Of course, they're called "Tip roast" in Milwaukee...much like water fountains are bubblers here
icon_razz.gif

$3.99 a pound Chuck. Go gettem!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
Brady,did you do it on the stove? Just kidding.Nice job grilling. Say Jim L. where were you able to get TT here in Racine/Milwaukee? I would like to get some. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck you can find them at Trader Joe there is one in Milwaukee.

Brady looks great and thanks for sharing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_B:
Chuck you can find them at Trader Joe there is one in Milwaukee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
5600 North Port Washington Road
Milwaukee, WI 53217
Phone Number: 414-962-3382
Trading Hours: 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Thanks Jeff and Jim for the info. I just rememberd I did visit the Trader Joe's in Port washington about 2yrs ago. they had one left and it was past the due date. Not having a Butcher shop I wonder about turnover. My question,Is a TT the same cut as a Sirloin tip? Someone said it is a different cut...
icon_confused.gif

If not I'm on my way to Sendicks.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Chuck, TriTip is Sirloin Tip roast.
Sendik's is closed today
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jim for the TIP!

Back