Hawaii > Kauai > Waimea: Island Taco

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
9643 Kaumualii Highway
Waimea, Kauai, HI

Folks the last thing I ever expected when I was driving out to Waimea Canyon on Kauai last month was to find some really fantastic BBQ --- at a place advertising itself as a Taco place no less!

[No I'm not being paid to advertise for this place.]

Seriously. They make something called Kalua Pork -- which is a local version of pulled, smoked pork. They put it in a soft taco shell or burrito along with some chopped greens and - as I remember - a couple of different sauce choices.

It was absolutely fantastic. The meat was something of a cross between a good, mild, pulled pork and a very well done moo shoo pork. Even my wife who seldom eats pork ate half of my second taco.

Their other stuff is really good too. Ahi tuna taco. Great chips and a really interesting, flavorful salsa. And... they across the street form a fantastic shave ice place.

Seems kind of funny to be saying this since it is, after all, Hawaii but without a doubt worth a special trip.

Kauai is a very cool island, I can imagine the really good food and the combination of beauty and natural vibes was heaven on earth.

Back