My Mini Project

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
After reading some of the mini posts, I thought I would try and make one as I already owned a Smokey Joe Silver.
Here's a picture of the steamer rack I used as a heat diffuser. I used bolts to get the ceramic pot base off the diffuser a little. The notches are to clear the bolts for the racks-
IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2316.JPG

Here is the ceramic pot base in the bottom on the diffuser-
IMG_2317.JPG

Bottom rack-
IMG_2318.JPG

Outside of the pot with rack bolts and a temp probe opening
IMG_2314.JPG

This is what I am using so far, wish I could find some expanded metal-
IMG_2313.JPG

I ran a small batch of charcoal thru it as you can see by the color of the aluminum and it got to 300 and I then shut it down some and it held at 235 for more than an hour,pros and cons of using the steamer rack??

Last edited:
I think you will find that the ceramic pot base is to close to the diffuser. would suggest raising it 2-3 inches above the diffuser.
the aluminum dish thing in the last photo will not stop the ash from plugging the vent. it should be under the grate over the vent.

Agree with George C. and George L, also I think if you put the big pie plate ash stopper under the charcoal grate the ash space will be very limited and probably choke out your fire in short order because of the lack of space for the ash, you need something smaller like a tuna or chicken can.

thanks for the tips. I do use the pie plate under the grate. Do I even need the charcoal grate if I find some expanded metal to hold charcoal and use a tuna can or something taller to allow it to breath???

I've never found any need for a duffuser other than using the steamer rack alone....drippings to the coals baby.

Back