Jumbo Joe Smoker

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
I sat on posting this for a few weeks because I didn't want to get into a debate about using Galvanized Metal in a smoker. This mod uses galvanized metal, and either you are afraid of it or not. If you are afraid of it stop reading now, and please no lectures on galvanizing smokers.

I think I have $60 into this smoker because of the Target sale... I actually bought two Jumbo Joes and two of the 18" flip grate racks. I used the included racks for the smoker, and use the flip grates for when I grill.

For the cooking chamber I used 20"x 10' galvanized steel flashing. I put the two handles on the sides and put screws to hold the grill grates at 6" from the top and 6" from the bottom. I used rivets to hold it together, but think I will just use screws in the next one I make. For the lid I used nomex around the lip, and bought one of those cheap bbq thermometers. And in the bottom I placed two concrete bricks wrapped in Aluminum for a heat sink, along with a disposable drip pan.

I did have some concern about the zinc/etc so I did a 2 hour burn in with smoke wood, to see if there were any leaks, and the smoke did smell funny for the first hour, but soon there was no smell but hickory. I did a second burn in later to test to see if I could hold 225 degrees, after some fiddling it held.

So for my first cook I did two chuckies and 3 st. louis ribs. Prior to this I could only do two chucks OR 3 racks of ribs, with this baby I can do both. I loaded up the bottom chamber with lump charcoal and hickory. I burned about half the load in eight hours and except for when I foiled my meats, the smoker held temp at 225 the entire time.

Some caveats:

1. This chamber is flimsy so always keep a great inside.
2. The handles are a must.
3. I suspect that the smoke chamber will not hold its shape for long but it should make it through a season (year) of cooking.
4. Use washers to make sure the metal doesn't give when installing the grill support screws.
5. Make at your own risk (my family thoroughly enjoyed the food off this great cooker).

Two Chuckies
2013-10-20%2014.24.03.jpg

Ribs on top
2013-10-20%2014.25.34.jpg

Action Shot

If this is of interest ask questions...

J

Last edited:
After all the headache I had trying to find a pot that fit the smokey joe gold this seems like a very simple way to get smoker with a perfect fit for the lid. Did the galvanized finish burn off completely?

Is Aluminum flashing available in the 10' x 20" size? Might be an alternative :wsm:

Aluminum is available in the same size but its too flimsy to support the meat. I thought about buying a 20"x50' aluminum flashing very heavy and pretty expensive at $60 per roll vs $15 per roll. I also thought about buying a second roll of aluminum and using that as a liner to the galvanized steel.

I don't think the galvanizing is gone but the inside is completely coated with smoke. I thought about greasing it first, and then washing etc... But in the end I took the simplest path, rivet it together, and do a high temp burn in 600 degrees according to the cheap thermometer. To be honest I think the only thing that came off in the burning was any oils or incidental substances that may have been on the metal.

Looking to do a few chickens soon...

Nice smoker!
And no, I'm not afraid of galvanized steel, especially at the temps we're dealing with. I grew up licking lead paint and playing at the local landfill. I think my daily consumption of Diet Coke will kill me first, if anything....lol...

Looks good to me also! I remember using Galv steel trash cans as smokers when I was a boy Scout, and I'm still around today..
You said it's flimsy and you're worried about it holding it's shape after awhile. I can't tell from the pics if you have 3 or 4 nuts&bolts holding the bottom grate. If you have 4 make an X pattern out of aluminum flat stock or angle iron, if you have 3 make a Y pattern, bend and bolt the ends than pop a hole and fasten it in the middle where they cross.

Tim

Thanks Tim!

Its using 3 bolts to hold the grates up. The good thing is so long as I keep a grate in it its rock solid. I thought about using those bracing backets, but when I put the grill grates in it firmed up real nice.

j

Back