Mini WSM - Oregon Ducks Style

Carl Johnson

The idea of building a custom smoker that could compete with the best of em using off-the -shelf parts on the cheap was too good to pass up. I had to give it a try. I learned a few things along the way that I plan on using to build my neighbor's mini wsm. (he's gotta have one now...).

1 - Get a 32 Qt pot that fits and you are most of the way there. Locating this bugger took 90% of the project effort... Ordered an Imusa from Walmart.com - too big. Found the Vasconia on Sears.com. When it arrived it was a ... Imusa. Apparently they have the SKU numbers crossed at Sears. Changed tactics to go local. Called about 6 Latin grocery stores in my area. Nobody had the pots. Finally found a pot at a commercial kitchen supply in Portland - took the advice of this forum and test fitted the weber to the pot. Had about 4 guys hovering around me in the aisle wondering what the heck I was doing. I think some mini wsm's were conceived. It wasn't cheap but its thick and holds heat like an old car seat.

2 - Cutting out the bottom of the steamer pot. Suggest jigsaw with metal blade. took about 5 minutes. Next time I am going to cut the bottom hole 11" in diameter to better fit the charcoal basket.

3 - Suggested Rack Spacing.

• 1/2" from top (will add more space for second set of ribs)
  • 3 1/2" from top for main rack (main rack)
  • 7 1/2" down for second rack (i did mine 8" down and there is very little room above the diffuser pot)
  • 2 inches from the bottom for the diffuser rack (I ran a long bolt all the way through to better support a clay diffuser pan.

Thermometer Probes - I also drilled 2 1/2 holes for the Maverick thermometer probes. I used the 1/2" lamp/electrical bolts and they seem to work fine although I made them too long and its tough to get the lower grate over the bolts. will shorten next time.

Added a long bolt to provide added strength for the clay diffuser. Learned from this forum that the bolts can warp the pot.

4- Make it personal. The Oregon Ducks stencil and paint job was a lot of fun and definitely makes this thing a conversation starter.
Key Learning - I am going to avoid painting all the way down the pot. My pot gets stuck in the kettle when it gets hot and it is difficult to pop out. Will leave a 1 1/2" no paint border at the bottom of the pot on V2.

Cutting out the sucker with an exacto knife and several beers. took awhile... Don't look too close.

Painted with Dupli color Anodized Heat paint from Amazon. Cool transparent thang going on.

5 - The Duck Mini WSM

6 - Don't do what I did and load the basket full of lump coal. Turns out these smokers are so efficient it barely takes any wood at all to maintain 225. Scroll down to see what I mean. Note: Had to re-build the charcoal basket. Suggest placing the expanded metal on top of the grate so it will fit deeper into the kettle. Wear gloves that metal is a b&*&tch to work with.

basket o wood

Things got a bit hot. THANKS for the advice on the test firing. After 3 attempts I got the hang.

7 - The actual cook. Pork Spare ribs. I used the Meathead's Memphis Dust for the rub. Left the ribs overnight in fridge.

Also used the 3-2-1 method that I've read about on this forum (although I missed some of the hour markers due to hauling around kiddos...)

For the last hour I couldn't keep 225. So I had to bail and threw the ribs into the oven. I felt pretty pathetic but I was so hungry by this time I ditched my pride. Regardless they came out with what I think was a pretty decent smoke ring.

8 - Share good things. I promised my Duck Fan / Cop/ mini wsm envying neighbor a sample. I just wrapped up some ribs and walked them over I hadn't even had a chance to taste them yet. Here's what they had to say. Made all the headache worth it.

Last edited:
Great work on the machine and nice looking ribs. It's a little odd to be wearing an orange sweatshirt working on a green machine, but I bleed red. Good luck on the game in two weeks.

Good catch on the Beaver sweatshirt... My oldest goes to OSU so I picked up the sweatshirt for Dad's weekend. I figure the Ducks have enough fans these days. But I believe I've got the only mini wsm smoker. I imagine I should send them some $ for using the logo. Anyone know the policy for smoker graphics?

Good catch on the Beaver sweatshirt... My oldest goes to OSU so I picked up the sweatshirt for Dad's weekend. I figure the Ducks have enough fans these days. But I believe I've got the only mini wsm smoker. I imagine I should send them some $ for using the logo. Anyone know the policy for smoker graphics?

Carl...being a University of Utah grad and going on my 3rd year living in the state of Oregon I have already seen enough green to last me a life time. I'm really impressed with your craftsmanship and especially your paint job. I think the Duck's should pay you for building that smoker.

Back