Performer Brisket

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Picked up this 15lb ungraded packer from WalMart. Separated the point/flat, seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and cooked on the Performer with Kingsford, 4 small pieces of hickory and 1 medium piece of cherry. I wasn't feeling well when it was done last night but just got around to eating some and it was very good! My wife doesn't like sauce, so I left the burnt ends plain for her and she ate a big plate last night and another when she got home from work and wants to use the rest of the point for beef and noodles tomorrow night for dinner!

For the record, that big slit in the point was like that when I bought it, NOT Drunk Larry error!!
icon_biggrin.gif

2009-07-13001.jpg
2009-07-13005.jpg
2009-07-13007.jpg
2009-07-13015.jpg
2009-07-13017.jpg
2009-07-13021.jpg
2009-07-13029.jpg

There you go again - another killer cook on the grill!! Pic look great and very tasty...I haven't eaten yet. Give us a little more info about time and temp please.....I'd like to try this on my kettle sometime.

looks great larry, i've never tried a brisket on the kettle. and for the record, i have gotten 4 packers from walmart and they all had that slice in them right out of the package!

Ah I've been waiting all day for these pics since I saw you mention it earlier today. What a fantastic looking piece of meat!

Originally posted by george curtis:
that looks great ! how did ya cook it ?
ditto that ... I have a performer now too, love to give that a go ... how did you set it up, fire it, set vents and so on?

Hi Larry,

That reminds me very much of the very first smoked brisket I had ever eaten. That
first brisket was in Texas and it was smokey, beefy, melt in your mouth good! Nah, yours looks even better. Great smokin' Larry!

###

Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
that looks great ! how did ya cook it ?
ditto that ... I have a performer now too, love to give that a go ... how did you set it up, fire it, set vents and so on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Guys!

My wife is making beef and noodles tonight with the leftover point!! Can't wait for dinner!!

I started off with approximately 3/4 Weber chimney of unlit coals. I lit 5 coals and added wood chunks. I then left all vents open 100% until the temps hit 180º, then I shut both the top and bottom vents down 50% until the temps hit 200º and then almost closed the bottom vents and left the top one at 50%. The kettle ran real steady between 245º-260º for 6 hours. I had a couple small temp spikes, but just left it alone and it settled back down. After six hours I added about 5 more coals just to ensure I had enough to finish the point. When the point was done, there were still coals left.

BTW, I had a drip pan under the brisket as well.

Man, those burnt ends really make me want to try a brisket. That's the one classic BBQ cut I haven't tried yet.

what was the total cook time?

Do you find it cooks pretty evenly like that or do you flip/rotate it a couple of times through the cook?

Thanks Larry

Originally posted by Shawn W:
Do you find it cooks pretty evenly like that or do you flip/rotate it a couple of times through the cook?

Thanks Larry

I didn't flip at all. Honestly, I couldn't tell whether it was cooked on a kettle or WSM if I hadn't cooked it!

Very, very nice Larry. I still marvel at the way you slice your meat. What do you do? Slice the meat on a cutting board and then put the slices in a pan and pour the juices all over?

Originally posted by Dave/G:
Very, very nice Larry. I still marvel at the way you slice your meat. What do you do? Slice the meat on a cutting board and then put the slices in a pan and pour the juices all over?

Thanks Dave!

Dave if you notice the slice marks in the pan, that is my cutting board!!
icon_eek.gif
I don't like to do anymore dishes than I have to, so I slice on the cheap pan and sharpen the knife before the next cook!! I have a 14" Forschner Slicing knife and it does a fantastic job!!

I did notice the marks on the pan, but I figured I'd ask anyway. The knife is one of those knives with the ridges on the business edge? Yes, I like mine too.

Originally posted by Dave/G:
I did notice the marks on the pan, but I figured I'd ask anyway. The knife is one of those knives with the ridges on the business edge? Yes, I like mine too.

Yeah, sometimes my laziness amazes me...
icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I have several Forschners and love the bang for the buck!!

Wow, that's pretty cool. I did not know, that you could do a brisket, on the Kettle grill. I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks for showing us the pics, and the know how.

Larry, you are Genius!! (Chris, maybe this is a new BB level).

I followed your instructions, but did a couple of Renowned Mr. Brown pork butts in my performer today. It held a solid temp without help from 7 to about 2:30. Mr. Brown looks great and has a good bark. And cleaning the performer is much easier than the WSM.

Back