How to put out hot coals?

ClaytonM

I just completed my very first smoke on a brand new 22.
icon_smile.gif

After the smoke I closed all vents but it still burned through all the coals. The question is how do I stop the coals from burning after the smoke? Is there anything else I can do besides closing the vents? ( i read somewhere to not pour water on the coals so that idea is out)

Thanks

Welcome Clayton,

If all of your vents are closed, then you must have an air leak elsewhere. Depending on the amount of coals burning at the end of cook, it could take up to 45 mins for all of them to extinguish. With all the vents closed, try tossing some wood chips, green grass/leaves, anything that will smoke easily onto your coals. Close up your WSM and look to see where the smoke exits; that's your area to work on. Typically it can be the middle section is out of round or your door needs minor bending to get a better fit.

Paul

If the coals aren't getting O2, they'll go out on their own. Since it's a new cooker, I'd say give it a few more cooks and let everything get good and gunked up. That will seal off any small air leaks you may have. If you've got large air leaks you may have to do some adjustments to the door or middle section to get it more air tight. You didn't mention any trouble with temps while cooking so I bet you have a pretty good fit.

Keep cooking on it. It will get better.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I did 4 slabs of bb ribs. They came out fantastic with the meat falling off the bone (I could barely cut it because it would all fall apart). I chased the temp for the first 45 min, then everything settled in after that and hovered around 230-245 the rest of the way. So temp control wasn't bad at all.

I think the midsection fits pretty good, I didn't see any smoke come out of those edges. But I did see some smoke leaks come from the side door....i'll check it out next time.....thx folks

Back