Smoked Ahi Tuna

jeff_herrell

Does anyone have any recipes and/or suggestions for smoked tuna? Recently I grilled Ahi Tuna basically following the recipe Chris A. posted, now we are just looking for a smoked variation maybe. Thanks

here's a small piece that I smoked:

IMG_1941.jpg

I rubbed it with togarashi shichimi. I have a recipe for the togarashi which I used for this smoke, but its pretty easy to find already made in asian markets. It comes in little bottles. I like to buy the shichimi (japanese chile) and add it to my own togarashi.

A great local sushi chef rubs tuna with a cajun style spice mix and has a bbq restaurant smoke it for him. He serves it sliced cold.

As for the actual smoking, it doesn't take much to start graying the meat. Try to keep it as low as you can and keep the smoking very brief. I thought I really over cooked this piece (some slices weren't pink at all). luckily I was serving people who probably weren't to keen on pink fish, and loved it.

Looks good, thanks for the reply. That piece looks to be about the size of the tuna steaks that the supermarket had, I'll have to give it a try soon. Ballpark figure, what would "very brief" be?

Thanks,
Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ballpark figure, what would "very brief" be? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lot of variables...wsm temp, size of piece, desired amount of pink, exterior browning...

I might start with a 1/2 lb piece, salted and seasoned, try to almost cold smoke it for an hour or less, and then try searing in a dry pan or screaming hot fire. The goal would be a mostly pink piece, with some smoke, and a nice crust.

I'll dig through my notes and see if I recorded anything for that smoked tuna.

Back