Weber 22.5 inch half cast iron grate

Mark R-S

TVWBB Fan
Weber have come out with this weird 22.5 inch grate with a cast iron insert in the middle:

110786_01.jpg

It only seems to be available in Europe, and there's another version with a griddle pan in the middle instead of the CI grate:

http://www.webergrill.se/Yleiset-tarvikkeet-503.aspx

I won't be buying one. Only having the CI in the middle would seem to limit it's flexibility too much.

-Mark.

It looks like a Mushikamado grill. You can insert a pot or drip pan in the hole. I want one now! Weber only make the basics available to us. Can you send me one?
icon_smile.gif

Would you use the grate version or the pan version, and what would you do with it?

I'm sure there are shops which would ship internationally. These are quite expensive though - About 90 Euros. Good (for you) that the Euro is pretty weak at the moment though.

-Mark.

I can think of a lot of things. I would use both at different times. I would sear on the cast iron, and I would remove the middle for slow cooks and drop a drip pan in there. Here's a picture of one in use. Have a look around here and you will see a few different variations.

http://kamado.com/accessories.html#Mushikamado Grill

Far out! But, dont look for it in America any time soon. Why? Americans are too lazy. That is why they discontinued the original CI insert I have from ~2001-2002.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
Any pics Timothy?

Not the best shot, but you get the idea.
I asked Weber why they discontinued it. They said way to many returns because people didnt take the time to properly season the CI and keep it seasoned. I picked mine up on clearance at cooking.com for around $17. 8 or 9 years old and still going strong. The cast iron section is actually from the old Genesis B & C series gas grills.

All Weber cast iron grates are now porcelain coated.

IMG_0062rs.jpg

Thanks Timothy, at the HD near my home they have some replacement sear grills from a gasser. I have been keeping my eyes on them. Right now they are $19 down from $30. I have been waiting for the $ten range. They are probably worth the $19 though.

Now I'm starting to see the possibilities - I don't think I'll buy one just yet though as I just bought a stainless steel grate - Another thing you can no longer buy in the US
icon_frown.gif

-Mark.

I shouldnt say all Americans are lazy, but we seem to have more than our fair share now a days.
But, I guess this is what keeps Weber in business. We all know that a kettle grill can last 20 + years if taken care of. How many have we seen that are rusted out and falling apart because people just dont take the time to clean them out and put them away. So, every couple of years they have to go buy a new one to replace the old rot box.

I really like this idea for a grate.

You get the benefit of cast iron marks but can still swivel the grill easily if there are flare ups which is impossible with the other cast iron kettle options. Cleanup also seems much easier. The temperature difference in cast iron and stainless would allow hot and cold spots without stacking the coals a different way. The downside would be cooking for large groups, which I don't have to worry about.

That is absolutely ridiculous that Weber, a U.S. based company, can make all of these accessories for far flung nations across the wordl, but can't provide them to the people in their own backyard. Behind every great company is a handful of narrow minded morons.

Love the idea for the Wok option alone. Reminds me of that Good Eats episode where Alton uses the grill to cook with a wok because it is the only real way to get enough heat to properly cook with a wok. Weber should consider offering this in the US. I'm in for one...

I retail some weber stuff and have this sitting lonely in the backroom. I think I sold the cast iron skillet by itself to someone @ 10 years ago.

Anyone interested?

weberholder.jpg

weberholder2.jpg

Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
I'll take first dib's @ it. How much? and is it for a 22.5". Bill

Hey Bill, how's $5.00 + shipping sound? Oh, and it is for the 22.5

Thanks

Back