1st Turkey Smoke - Lots of pressure

Tim M in FL

So I have been asked to smoke a Turkey for Thanksgiving and I am looking for a good recipe that does not require the brine in liquid method.

I am looking for something that will have allot of flavor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be a good turkey smoke to impress the whole fam?

Hi there, when i did my first turkey, i was told and read that apple wood would be good to use so that is what i used but i dont know what i did wrong because it didnt add any taste to turkey, as if i used no wood chips at all.

Why dont you want to brine turkey?

I did not brine my turkey and wish i had.

Also, if you can, start with fresh bird and make sure you get a non stuffed one.

elmo

Brine = lots of work/prep.... However if it makes that big of a difference I might try it.. But i dont want it to come out to salty.

So anyone offer up any good suggestions?

If you don't want to brine get an enhanced/injected bird (Buterball). I did a test turkey that was enhanced and it turned out great. I used 3 chunks of apple wood and the turkey had a lot of smokey flavor. The only thing I will do different next time is not put rub on the outside of the bird. I will probably add rub to the inside and under the skin of the breast and just add salt and pepper on the outside of the skin. When I added rub to the outside it burned on the legs and wings and the skin had a little bit of a bitter taste.

Tim, sometimes you have to do lots of work/prep to come out with a delicious final product. Don't you think it's worth it?

If you really can't be bothered to brine, do what John suggested - get an enhanced bird, hit it with some rub.

If the packaging says it's in a "solution of up to x% of water/broth, salt, phosphates" then you don't necessarily need to brine it.

Tim, I brine my turkeys in one of those oven bags. I put it in a plastic storage box as close to the size of your turkey as possible [mine is 11.5" x 15" x 7" - not sure of the quart size]. Just place the bag in the box and roll down the top of the bag half to 2/3 of the way. Place the bird in the bag, pull up the bag and just pore your brine mixture in. Then gather the bag at the top, squeezing out as much air as possible, and secure with the closure strap. I also place balled up newspaper or towels in the corners to take up space, so that the brine covers the turkey. I have a 2nd. fridge in the garage, and the box fits on the bottom shelf. If the bag does leak, its in the box, but I've not had one leak yet, and I've used this method at least 6 or 7 times.

Brining is very good, but you can also inject your turkey with very good results. See Poultry Recipes forum. HTH. Good Luck!!

1- I brine inside a smallish cooler with a bunch of freezer packs to keep the temperature just so. It really makes a difference. Just make sure to dry the skin out afterwards. (I've been known to take a blowdrier to it...)

2- If brining isn't going to happen, I STRONGLY suggest getting a Kosher bird over an enhanced one.

Brining is an improvement, but by no means essential. Turkey is actually a pretty easy cook. All you really need to do is place it on the top rack, use a foiled pan with no water, open all vents 100% and let 'er rip until the breast meat is 165 F. Use a little cherry wood and you'll have color on the bird that guests will rave over.

If that's too simple, let the bird air dry in the fridge for 8 hrs or so before cooking and rub the skin with a mild oil or melted butter. How tough is that?

If that's still too easy, chill the breast prior to cooking with a bed of ice. That way the legs and thighs will be more done when the breast reaches 165. You'll be a hero.

Back