My Mini WSM build complete with flying saucer

Matt in Vancouver

TVWBB Member
First off a huge thank you to this site for introducing me to the mini wsm. My father recently turned 60 so as a special gift the family chipped in to set him up with an 18.5" WSM with all the accessories. While researching I of course caught the BBQ/Smoking bug and decided to build my own mini!

After researching and gathering materials for a few weeks I finally built my mini but with a bit of a twist. I used the steaming tray from the Vasconia pot and cut the center out to make a ring that I could hang a shallow SS water pan (bowl) from. I then drilled many holes in the remaining ring to act as a diffuser so that the smoke is forced to the outside of the smoker by the bottom side of the SS bowl, then through the diffuser into the cooking chamber. Thanks to the stepped lip on the steaming tray (now the perforated ring) the bowl actually hangs about a 1/2" below the top lip where the first cooking grill sits allowing for good airflow around the meat.

Nothing too out of the ordinary other than the diffuser setup. One probe grommet for my Maverick, 2 cooking grills, cheap-o weber thermometer for the barrel and a stainless charcoal basket.

mwsm1.JPG

mwsm2.JPG

mwsm3.JPG

mwsm4.JPG

mwsm5.JPG

mwsm6.JPG

mwsm7.JPG

I've now done 2 smokes, both times a combo of pork and beef ribs, and both cooks came out amazing! This little smoker is awesome and half the fun is in planning and building it yourself!

Looking forward to trying a pork butt this weekend!

Thanks again TVWBB!

Last edited:
Matt;
Very nice build. I like your choices and design of the heat/smoke baffle. I am sure enjoying my mini. Frankly, it's about all of the smoker most of us need (unless we are cooking for very large crowds). The mini is turning out to be THE family smoker... (plus a nice little portable grill, don't forget).

FWIW,
Dale53:wsm:

Outstanding job on the diffuser! That's the 1 area on mine that's meh at best. Great thinking...

Thanks for the comments guys. Here are a few shots of the results of my first two smokes - They tasted amazing! Note the hot water tank tray I picked up at home depot to use as a base for the mini ($20) it works great for catching mess.

These are literally the first ribs I have ever cooked myself so most if not all credit goes to the mini :) Tips or observations welcome!

mwsm8.JPG

mwsm9.JPG

mwsm10.JPG

mwsm11.JPG

Your flying saucer looks remarkably similar to the water pan in the 14.5" WSM just released. Very nice craftsmanship.

I like your choices and design of the heat/smoke baffle.
+1 and I'm glad to read that it apparently works well too (When I first started reading your description I was wondering if that setup would be too limiting but apparently not)

What kind of bowl is that and where did you get it? I think I'm finally going to be building my mini this weekend and the diffuser was the last part I was still figuring out/debating. I think I'm going to copy your setup if I can find the right bowl?

Nice work. Greetings from North Van, BC :) I just got my Vasconia pot the other day and recently painted it. it'll be ready for a cure then a smoke next weekend. looking forward to it.
ggYE8eGl.jpg

Appreciate all the comments guys - this design seems to be working great so far!

+1 and I'm glad to read that it apparently works well too (When I first started reading your description I was wondering if that setup would be too limiting but apparently not)
What kind of bowl is that and where did you get it? I think I'm finally going to be building my mini this weekend and the diffuser was the last part I was still figuring out/debating. I think I'm going to copy your setup if I can find the right bowl?

Hi Chris - Every piece that I used in my mini is stainless steel including the dish that I found at a local surplus store (I believe it's a dog dish based on the shallow depth). Like I said, this setup has been essentially perfect so far but I may experiment by making a second perforated bowl as well just for kicks, this way I can just swap in either the water pan or perforated diffuser pan depending on whats being cooked. Of course the surplus store no longer has the same bowls but I managed to find what I believe is a match on ebay. I have a couple new pans being shipped from the UK so I wont see it for a couple weeks but it looks as if it will work nicely. (10")

E-Bay Link to the new pans on the way

Nice work. Greetings from North Van, BC :) I just got my Vasconia pot the other day and recently painted it. it'll be ready for a cure then a smoke next weekend. looking forward to it.
ggYE8eGl.jpg

Hi Tom, Great looking mini! Glad to see a local on the board... I hope mother nature is kind to us tomorrow as I'm planning on smoking a pork butt!

- Matt

Last edited:
If anyone has a spare Vasconia steamer tray (not the pot) they arent using I'd love to pick up an extra. I can offer $10 plus shipping - just shoot me a message. Cheers!

Last edited:
Quick Update:

After all the amazing pics I've seen of painted mini's I couldn't resist myself. Taking inspiration from Chad Bmans sweet mini I chose to stick with the Weber theme. The DupliColor Metalcast Red really does look anodized - far better transparency than I was expecting.

painted.jpg

Back