temp probe location

RBenet

new here and finishing my mini wsm thanks to all the excellent information in this forum. but... curious about a location to put a nipple to run a thermometer into the wsm. i have my grill thermometer about 1" or so below the cooking grate and other builds i have seen put the nipple below the cooking grate as well. is there a reason for this? i'm thinking the nipple would be easier if it was above the cooking grate. threading the thermometer cable from under the cooking grate to over and into whatever i am cooking sounds like a pain. but i am a firm believer in asking before i start drilling if i am not certain. thank for any input.

Rbenet;
I decided to forgo the nipple (or as most call it, the grommet) just like I did on my WSM. I'm going to cut a slot in the top of the pot. I have been VERY happy with the slot. It's a good bit easier to use than trying to thread the probes through a small hole. I can lift the meat out with the probe still attached. It is very useful when I want to put my Boston Butt into an aluminum pan and foil it (I can leave the probe still in the meat and it doesn't interfere).

FWIW
Dale53

Rbenet;
I haven't yet cut the slot in my VERY new Mini. That should be done today. I'll take a picture of it when finished. I am off to the Farm Store (Rural King) to get the U-bolts to make handles for my food grates.

Stay tuned...

Dale53

Back