New mini wsm, first butt- issue

M Dale

Hi, Just finished building my mini friday and did my first pork butt today. Cooked a small butt for 7hrs at 225-250F and took it off when IT hit 200F, warped in foil and let it rest in a cooler for an hour. My problem is that it was a little tough, had to half slice/ half pull it, but still tasted great. Any suggestions on how to make it more tender/ easier to pull?
2013-09-22%2018.53.05.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g4i7893n8119ub/2013-09-22 18.53.05.jpg

that should have done it. but some do need to go further. also I would suggest taking the temp in different locations. I use the probe test also plus i see if it will actually shred before taking it off. meat density always has to be taken into consideration.
don't forget that many places don't pull but chop so that is a great alternative.

If you had to slice any of it --- it wasn't done. The internal temp is only to let you know when it's time to start the probe test. IE - take a skewer or thermometer and probe the butt in various places. If it slides in like butter - it's done. If you feel resistance - try again in another hour.

The he great part of making mistakes and learning --- they're still tasty. :)

When I start to test (I use a Maverick 732 to monitor temps) I use a common table fork. I twist it in a couple of places and you will see right away if it is ready to pull. Check every fifteen minutes after you are close. When it hits that magic tenderness, remove from the heat (I foil in an aluminum pan at 160-170 after the bark has set), loosen the top foil to stop cooking and let it rest at least 1/2-1 hour. Then pull it.

FWIW
Dale53

It should have pulled fine at 200° IT, my guess would be the probe was in a fat pocket and gave a falsely high reading. Or your thermo is off...

Back