Old performer vs New performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Johnson

Have an old tired performer and thinking of a new one for Spring. Notice the propane tanks are now smaller and disposible. Can someone compare and contrast the old vs new and tell me the likes and dislikes of both.

Many Thanks

Bob J

I never owner the old one, but from what I can tell through research here are the differences.

*About a $100 price difference making the newer less expensive.

*The new one uses replaceable propane canisters instead of the old refillable 5 lb bottle. (I have used my Performer about 20 times since I got it last month and I'm still on my first canister and canisters are only like $2 a piece so a very minimal cost. Will let you know when it runs out. You can also get an adapter hose of some sorts to keep using your 5 lb bottle or 20 lb bottle if you want. Myself, I think I prefer the propane canisters.)

* The new comes with some kind of heat resistant material instead of the stainless steel table. (Can't speak about the stainless steel, but I can tell you that the plastic table is very durable and easy to clean. It isn't in the least bit wobbly and is very solid.)

* The new one comes with a charcoal storage bin that pulls out at an angle so that you don't have to clear off the table to get to it. (I consider this the best improvement over the old model and haven't seen anybody complain about this feature.)

Some people prefer the older model, but I think if given the choice I would rather have the newer model. I wouldn't let any of these changes sway me in getting the new model. It still has all the main features of the old model such as the gas assist, cart, work table, charcoal storage, lid holder, OTG system, and the charcoal baskets with the hinged grate.

I have both the older and the newer.

First of all, the grill, kettle, and lid are the same.

I prefer the older. A little more heavy, meaning substancial. The 5lb tank is nice. I fill around once a year, for a few bucks, at a station right by my house. Very nice!

I never pour the charcoal from the bag into the bin. Seems counterproductive to me. I just put the whole bag in there. Less dust and mess. When I cook with either one, I pull the bag out, fill the chimney, and set it aside. Only when I'm done cooking do I put the coal back into the bin for storage. The "drawback" of clearing off the table to get to more charcoal never becomes an issue.

I like the looks of the stainless steel better than the plastic top.

The older one just seems better quality, even though the kettle is the same.

The new style performer is still the best new charcoal grill you can buy.

Either way, you are set!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back