Delays, delays, delays...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I finally decided to "Pull the switch" and build myself a Smokey Joe Mini. I started calling around the area (greater Cincinnati Area) and after LOTS of calls, no one had a Smokey Joe Gold. There were a couple of Smokey Joe Silvers but I had my heart set on a Gold.

I finally ended up ordering online to be delivered to a local hardware store (sometime within the next ten days:(. I decided to go with the Vasconia Pot through Amazon (which refers you to a web site of Pfalzstaf who merchandise the pot). I placed my order there, and again, a wait. I ordered the extra food grate from Amazon. I will wait until the grill gets here before deciding on a heat baffle (I am probably going with a stainless steel doggy bowl).

I am not really comfortable with ordering the steamer pot without trying it in the Smokey Joe but that seems to be my choice. Everything that I have read about the Vasconia Pot has been very positive. I have read everything that is printed on this site about the mini. Very entertaining AND enlightening.

I'll keep the thread updated when things get here. I am pretty pumped up about this cooker. I need it like I need another head, but I just fancy it!

Dale53:wsm:

Be patient....
It will take you less that an hour to build it. But I know how you feel.

George;
Amazon had a couple but you had to buy from another party and pay shipping (I have Amazon Prime but it doesn't apply to this item). I got it on a "ship to store" for no shipping...

Thanks to the rest of you for the encouraging words. "I needed that":rolleyes:...

Dale53

Like Tony says it doesn't take long to put this thing together. Once you have everything on hand it'll be a snap. And since you're getting the Gold a charcoal ring is essential. Enjoy your build. These things turn out to be the most frequently used smoker for many, including myself. :)

George L.;
Thanks for the tip. I had pretty much decided to build a charcoal ring (I have wired my charcoal ring to the grate in my 18.5" WSM and envision pretty much the same thing) but your suggestion clinched it.

I am really looking forward to starting work on this little gem. I suspect my WSM will be jealous but maybe it'll enjoy the company:rolleyes:. My better half is rolling her eyes at me getting another "grill"... She'll get fully on board after she tastes the results, I am sure!;)

Robert I'm in the same boat including needing it like another head though my wife was more colorful with her words. I haven't started my gold hunt yet although I have the pot already (snagged a 40% off coupon Pfalzstaf). Still need the grate and some more expanded metal for the charcoal ring.

What are you build plans for yours out of curiosity? Won't speed up the waiting process but always good sharing. :)

Will;
I will probably use a pie pan for a smoke/heat deflector, I intend to use expanded metal for a charcoal ring, and I believe that I'll settle for two food grates. Of course, as I stated before, I'm using the Vasconia Pot. My Smokey Joe Gold should be in Thursday and hopefully, the pot will get here about the same time. Apparently, they haven't shipped it yet but it should go out no later than Monday.

I will make one more modification (or two:rolleyes:). I want a thermometer just under the top grate and I will put handles on at least one of the grates. That'll probably be the bottom grate. I intend to cut the bottom out of the pot (instead of holes) as I like that modification better. I won't try to pick up any of the little bits until I take delivery on the grill and the pot just to make sure that I am headed in the right direction.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I got my first piece in the mail - the food grate:rolleyes:... Oh well, one thing at a time...

FWIW
Dale53

Robert, it will get done. I've had all the parts for mine for a month or better but the Bride insisted that I take care of some items on my "Gotta do" list. Started the build on Saturday and finished it early Sunday morning and had a pork butt on by 10:00. It would of been done on Saturday but I had a family party to go to.

Today, I took delivery of my Smokey Joe Gold and my Vasconia pot. I had already received the food grate (#2) so you all KNOW what I am going to be doing tomorrow! I can't wait to get that little sucker online!!:eek: Wish me luck!

Back