Horseradish_Crusted Steak Roulade

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Adapted from recipe in the Food Network Magazine.

Plated

Horseradish-Crusted Steak Roulade

For the steak:
1 2 ¼ - 2 ½ pound flank steak
2 Red bell peppers, stemmed, halved lengthwise and seeded
3 Tbsp EVOO
1 Leek, finely chopped white and light green parts only
2 Cloves minced garlic
1 Cup Chopped fresh parsley
½ lb Sliced provolone cheese
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

For the crust:
¾ Cup Breadcrumbs (I used Italian)
1 tsp Chopped fresh rosemary
3 Tbsp Chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbsp Drained horseradish
3 Tbsp EVOO
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

1. Char skin of red peppers on the grill. Allow to cool and peel skin. Set aside
2. Sauté leek and garlic in 3 Tbsp of Evoo for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside and cool.
3. Pound the flank steak to about ¼” thick. Lay out on cutting board with long side facing you and season with salt and pepper. You could also use your favorite rub (in moderation). Place roasted peppers evenly over the meat, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Top with cheese slices, then the leek mixture. Roll the meat away from you into a tight cylinder, tucking in the filling as you roll.
4. To make the crust, mix the breadcrumbs, rosemary, parley, horseradish and EVOO. Season with salt and pepper or one of your rubs. Brush the steak with EVOO and press breadcrumb mixture over the top and sides. Tie the roll with twine in 3 or 4 places.
5. Prepare grill with indirect heat. I placed the roll on aluminum foil on the cool side so as to not lose the breadcrumbs and to capture any oozing cheese. Cook to 135º - 145º center temp. Took about 50 minutes on my SJP. Around the half way point I rotated the roll to more evenly distribute heat. Let rest for 15 – 20 minutes. Slice and enjoy.

Back