Dry-Brining Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've been lightly pounding large boneless, skinless chicken breasts and applying 3/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt per pound along with a salt-free rub.

Does anyone else dry-brine theirs? How much salt do you use? And most of all, what is the optimum time to refrigerate them before cooking, after which it doesn't change the quality? I've seen anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours or overnight.

Rita

I've only dry brined steaks but have been meaning to try poultry. The folks at America's Test Kitchen* say 1 tablespoon salt for 5 lbs chicken along with other spices and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.

Their dry brine:
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons pepper
¼– ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (split breasts cut in half, drumsticks, and/ or thighs),

* The Editors at America's Test Kitchen (2012-10-12). The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated Cookbooks). Boston Common Press. Kindle Edition.

Last edited:
Thank you, Dwain. ATK's recommendation has a little more salt per pound (they call for table salt), so that theirs would be about 1 1/4 teaspoons Diamond kosher salt per pound. Generally, boneless, skinless chicken breasts take less than bone-in, so I think I'm in the ballpark with 3/4 teaspoon Diamond KS per pound and I've been satisfied with that. I'm thinking that boneless would take a little less time as a minimum than bone-in as well.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up!
Rita

Rita,

I have had success with just sprinkling kosher salt over the chicken breasts and leaving them in refrig for a few hours. However I do not "pound" them first. If i need thinner pieces, I pound them after I have rinsed and dried them.

Ray

Back