Has anyone tried a double stacked mini?

GeorgeO

Thanks to the help of this forum I'm going to put together my first mini. I will use for tailgating mostly and we sometimes get 15-20 people at our tailgates. Worried about capacity to support that much food. I may just end up doing a UDS for those large events. But as anyone tried to double stack the pots? Will it produce enough heat to cook? Or be too uneven? For the stacking stability part I'm thinking I would attach one of the lids to the bottom of the top pot and cut a hole through both the lid and bottom. Then the top pot would just sit on the bottom pot like a glove.

Any thoughts on this?

I've seen double stacks here somewhere and I'm sure they work fine.
What I've done, instead of a double stack, was to use a 16 gallon steel drum body on my SJS. It essentially gives you about the same chamber volume as double stacking the tamale pots.
And yes, it will produce enough heat, but fire management will differ slightly from your standard mini.
Also, if you double stack you should replace the spindly legs and fabricate heavier duty ones as they are too unstable.

Or, your other option, as you mentioned, is to go UDS......55 gal, 30 gal, or even a 16 gal UDS.

Last edited:

Back