Turning ribs

Mark Cov

I have seen different reciepes and some say to turn the ribs onto the. Meat side during cooking and others don't. Should I turn the ribs? Is there a benefit to doing this?

Thanks
mark

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Simple answer to your question:
When smokin'/cookin' on your WSM, no. Turning is not required, no benefit obtained.
In my opinion.

I'm with Jim, turning the ribs means getting up and putting down the beer!!
icon_smile.gif

No need to turn when Q'ing.....you can if you want to, it won't hurt anything.

R

actually, now that i think of it... while friends or family are over... do that. turn them. make it look like you're actually working. it might impress them. and it wouldn't hurt to grunt while doing it.
yeah.
grunt and turn.
turn THEN grunt.
yeah.
do that
icon_biggrin.gif

Mark,the WSM is truly a set and forget! No need to turn,and this will actually increase the cooking time. Every time you open the smoker,you let heat out,thus increasing cooking time. No peeking!

turning isn't needed if the ribs are laid flat but if i am using a rib rack of have rolled the ribs i invert them halfway throught the projected cook time. not sure if that is needed but the meat seems to to pull away more evenly from the bones on both sides this way.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I cooked my ribs for 4 hours between 200-220 and did not turn them and they came out awesome. I have done 2 cooks both time were ribs so this weekend i will be diving into Pork Butt for the first time. Hopefully I don't screw it up to bad b/c I got people coming over for the UFC ppv Saturday.

thanks
mark

Back