Grilled Artichokes

Pete in PG

TVWBB Pro
One of my favorite things to have as an appetizer or a side dish.

I buy large artichokes and either halve them or quarter them.

First thing is to cut the tops off with a good chef knife; I use an 8" knife which is very sharp. Then cut them in half. I use a tablespoon to cut out the choke piece of the artichoke (the fuzzy/furry piece not shown here as I've already removed it). I also use a vegetable peeler to shave the tough skin off the stem. Right after cutting and each process of removing the choke or peeling the skin, I slather fresh lemon juice on the artichoke to keep it from browning. This really helps.

Next I steam the halves for 30 minutes, pull them and put on a separate plate and again squeeze fresh lemon juice on the artichokes. They can sit at room temperature for a long time and can be made ahead which is nice when you're having company over.

To finish, I coat them lightly with vegetable oil; I like safflower or canola for the high heat. Then put them on the grill for about 5 minutes per side. Once off, I drizzle them with some really good EVOO and a good vinaigrette dressing. No mayo, butter or anything else.... This is a healthier alternative and I think it tastes better too!

y9cl.jpg

Plated with dinner; some cold shrimp and a simple salad including some of my pickled beets.

9y7f.jpg

Back