brisket size

jason.yee

TVWBB Fan
i see everyone smoking huge briskets that are 5+ lbs. is it possible to smoke smaller briskets or is that not recommended? i guess im asking this question for all cuts of meat in general, not just briskets.

You cook whatever size meat suits your fancy. Some approach it that if you are going to fire up the smoker, you might as well fill it up. A FoodSaver is a wonderful device that helps with all that leftover meat.

Also, the more you cook, the more familiar you will become with the neighbors.
icon_smile.gif

The larger briskets, I suspect, are usually packers. Smaller cuts will be just the flat in my experience.

FWIW, I have a 2.15# pork loin on now, but I am using the grill instead of the WSM for this cook.

A 5-pound brisket isn't a brisket, it's a piece of a brisket, usually a portion of the flat. You can smoke a 5-pounder, or smaller, but I don't recommend it, especially if you're new to it, as most flats under 6 or 7 pounds are overtrimmed and/or thin, making the task more difficult.

My first (and only so far) was just under 11 1/2 lbs. I agree with most on here that you really need the full brisket to get the benefit of the fat for moisture. Mine had a lot of fat even after trimming and was still a little dry. I had a few cooking issues though
icon_smile.gif

James

Did a 2.5# brisket flat in an SJG here. It wasn't as good as my previous attempts with larger flats and packers, but it was still very good.

I foiled at 140F internal and took off when probed went in like butter.

Why the SJG? Have one was inspired by DL Whitehead's SJS long smokes. Also, the size of meat seems more appropriate for my family of four.

HTH

Back