Weber starters

Tim Keeffer

I have ran out of weber starters and am using paper which I dont like because of the ash. Has anyone tried using regular parafin blocks you buy for canning jam?

I used to use crumbled newspaper but didn't like the residue flying around so I now use 2 paper towels doused with 2 or 3 tablespoons of cooking oil. Works every time!

I agree. The trigger propane torch is a great charcoal lighter.

A recent modification happened when my one pound ball ran low. I had a five pound ball with a long length of hose, ending in the kind of fitting that the one pounders use.

Much better. The problem with the one pounder is that since it is hard connected to the trigger, the propane ball has to go sideways or upside down as you direct the flame down into the charcoal.

The liquid then runs down and eventually chokes down the vapour propane coming out.

With a five pound bottle sitting on the ground, however, the six foot long hose is enough to reach into the charcoal, and the liquid is always in the bottom half of the ball. Only propane vapour pours up the hose. A much stronger and consistent flame, and lighter to hold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
I use one of these:

Bernzomatic Trigger-Start Torch Kit (BZ8250HTKC)

These are absolutely fantastic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, here's my first attempt at linking a photo. This shows my five pound, triggered, starter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmnoble/5097895296/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Noble:
I agree. The trigger propane torch is a great charcoal lighter.

A recent modification happened when my one pound ball ran low. I had a five pound ball with a long length of hose, ending in the kind of fitting that the one pounders use.

Much better. The problem with the one pounder is that since it is hard connected to the trigger, the propane ball has to go sideways or upside down as you direct the flame down into the charcoal.

The liquid then runs down and eventually chokes down the vapour propane coming out.

With a five pound bottle sitting on the ground, however, the six foot long hose is enough to reach into the charcoal, and the liquid is always in the bottom half of the ball. Only propane vapour pours up the hose. A much stronger and consistent flame, and lighter to hold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
I use one of these:

Bernzomatic Trigger-Start Torch Kit (BZ8250HTKC)

These are absolutely fantastic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim u need to try strike a fire match sticks by diamond them sticks work great, u can cut each stick in half and get double the use. I buy them at Walmart when on sale and buy enough for a year.

I get generic sterno cans for $1 from a restaurant supply store by my house. Clean, easy, and fast. I want one of those weed burners!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
I have one of these, http://www.harborfreight.com/c...taf?Itemnumber=91037 that I bought to burn out a 55 gal drum for a UDS. I use it now as a charcoal starter and wished I bought this sooner, I'm saving at least 30 to 45 minutes using this over using my chimney starter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Very nice John, that's the next one for me. Right now I use a weed burner and love that, but I am just thinking a bigger propane bottle like yours would be better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
I have one of these, http://www.harborfreight.com/c...taf?Itemnumber=91037 that I bought to burn out a 55 gal drum for a UDS. I use it now as a charcoal starter and wished I bought this sooner, I'm saving at least 30 to 45 minutes using this over using my chimney starter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I bought the same tourch as John when I got my BDS. I now use it on all my grills. Well, except the Gasser of course.

I use homemade starters -- Gulf Wax melted over shredded cardboard, in cupcake papers.

I think I'm also going to incorporate the dust and tiny pieces from my lump charcoal bag somehow. Not sure if it will really make much difference, but I may as well make use of the unusable scraps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie D:
I get generic sterno cans for $1 from a restaurant supply store by my house. Clean, easy, and fast. I want one of those weed burners! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to try this as soon as my last 5-6 starter cubes are gone. Do you get the ones with the gel inside, or the old fashion kind with a wick?

I use the starter in the grill iself. I don't even own a chimney. The pile of charcoal in the grill (either just piled up or inside a grate box) has a chimney effect.

Just shoot the flame down into what looks like the base of a nice chimney pile.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Rudman:
Do you use that bernzomatic in a chimney or in the grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like the reusability idea in that one. When empty take scissors and cut up a hundred squares. stuff them all in a huge glass jar with a cup of veggie oil and cover. Pull our a reused, clean, fire starter when needed.

John N

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean H:
I use homemade starters -- Gulf Wax melted over shredded cardboard, in cupcake papers.

I think I'm also going to incorporate the dust and tiny pieces from my lump charcoal bag somehow. Not sure if it will really make much difference, but I may as well make use of the unusable scraps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not tried this myself but I intend too...

I found a neat idea for fire starters for use when camping. It's very simple and ultra cheap. You take cotton balls and smear a little Vaseline on em. From the camping point of view their convenient cause they're cheap and you can stuff a bunch in a baggie or film canister.

So there's my 2 cents on fire starters, but I'm going to run out and buy a weed burner. They just look B.A. Baracas.

Back