How much food can you smoke on a mini wsm?

Stephen Scaggs

TVWBB Member
As the title states, I'm trying to figure out if the mini would be big enough for my needs. We are a family of 3, but sometimes have family over, and I was wondering what kind of quantity you can get on the mini. I'm trying to figure out if I want to get something bigger or if this would suffice.

Thanks,

Steve

I went with the 22.5, family of 4, wife and I and 2 grown boys, figured charcoal is cheap and you can always cook down, even one rack of ribs such as the smoke below.
However right now I am building a mini for when I am only going to do 3 or 4 quarters or one rack (cut in half) and a small 3 lb butt.

The mini-WSM is just one of the tools of addicted smokers. My guess is that a majority of mini-wsm owners also have a WSM.

As the mini-wsm is not that expensive, you can start with it and get some good eats. The next step up might be a 18.5 WSM at $299. If the $299 is difficult on the budget, you can use the mini-WSM and look for a second hand WSM.

You should easily be able to feed 3 with the mini.

I've done an 8 lb butt, two racks of ribs in a rib rack, a fattie, a chicken, corn, wings, etc in seperate cooks.

The mini-WSM is just one of the tools of addicted smokers. My guess is that a majority of mini-wsm owners also have a WSM.

^^^ That

I started with the 22.5" WSM and added the mini for smaller cooks.
And by smaller cooks I mean a 9 pound pork butt, or a beer-can-chicken, or a dozen wings/legs, or 4 chicken quarters, or.....
It's a great 'tool' to have in the line-up.

In mine I can get three chickens on vertical cooking racks with space on top grill for a slab of belly pork or a load of sausages or a rack of small ribs. Pretty awesome for the size. But that much stuff inside does drop the temp very fast at the begining.

I have done eight half racks of ribs at one time (using two Brinkman rib racks) and they were perfectly evenly cooked. You can also do two Boston Butts at once. I have smoked two corned beef briskets (to make faux pastrami) and again, using both levels they were evenly cooked.

This is a terrific little smoker. I suspect that for a small family including guests it will do nearly everything anyone could wish for.

I have noticed that it's cooking characteristics are a bit different than my 18.5" WSM. When you have it loaded up with meat (as in 8 half racks of ribs at once) it takes forever to come to the target temperature. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to take any longer until they are finished than my 18.5" that starts at a higher temperature (my target rib cooking temperature is 275 degrees). I start shutting the bottom vents on the 18.5" at 200 degrees and catch the temp on the way up. With the Mini (and my 14.5" WSM) I leave the bottom vents wide open and don't shut them down until the target temperature is reached. Otherwise, the Mini doesn't want to reach the target temperature.

It's neither better or worse, just different. Cooking time seems to be the same and the final product is the same. It's all a matter of learning to use the particular unit.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

The mini is very versatile; you can also use it for a side grill, and can easily place multiple long skewers on top for indirect high heat. You can't put long skewers on any larger grill without additional accessories.

Bottom Rack:

9B9A3345-C663-4640-9D32-9C363BFBACB9_zpsddepxnjg.jpg

Top Rack:

B8940D9D-1E59-433D-87FA-4251E043B823_zpsrc1mlwnp.jpg

Thinking about adding another rack... :wsm:

On my mini (and 14.5 have both) I can easily feed 4-6 people, I now use my 14.5 about 10-1 over the 22.5 am actually going to build a mini just for FISH, Walmart has the pots for $19 on sale right now.

P9020002_zpsf6f9b349.jpg

0907131547_zpsab0bbf74.jpg

P8240082_zps012bb2a2.jpg

P5020203_zpscb8ad5bc.jpg

PA260067_zps36e75c6c.jpg

PA260068_zps32f74767.jpg

Back