Distance of grates

I put my top grate 5 inches down from the top. I place the second grate on the tamale steamer rim which makes it 4.5 inches below the top grate.

I went crazy and made space for three grates and a custom lid. The top grate is 1" from the top, the second grate is 4" from the top, and the third grate is 7" from the top.
gold-mini2.jpg

I used some 6mm studding, I think in america its called all-thread, so three pieces the height of the tamale pot with nuts and washers that can suport the grills at any height. I used wing nuts so you can spin them up or down quite quick to change it. You grab the top rack with some pliers and pull the whole caboodle out like a posh cake stand. The only issue with this set up is basting the stuff on the lower rack.

I love the crap out of my mini, but this is one area I'd like a do-over on. I *never* use the lower rack. One rack 5" down and one .5" down is where I use mine the most. Appetizers, sausages, veggies, etc. all hit the top rack while I'm doing a butt or something down below. If I need more room for a cook, I fire up a different grill/smoker.

Chad Anderson;
I really like your mini- you did GOOD!

I also have great affection (is it possible to feel this way about an inanimate object?) for my Mini-Joe. I have the top grate 4" down from the top and the bottom grate resting on the steamer ring. It works perfectly when cooking ribs on both levels (with rib racks) or doing two corned beef briskets (about 4.0 lbs each). I have thought about adding a third grate a 1/2" down from the top edge for appetizers but have not done it, as yet. I've got three smokers and three grills so if I need extra space I can just fire up another unit. I'm very happy with my grate spacing but adding another one would NOT be a bad idea.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I have mine about 4.5" from the top. It gives me enough headroom larger meats on top. I generally use a rib rack on the bottom, and then just lay some extra rib pieces on top.
When cooking a beer can chicken on the bottom rack, however, the top rack actually rests on top of the chicken. But that's fine by me. The more food I can squeeze in there, the better.

I went crazy and made space for three grates and a custom lid. The top grate is 1" from the top, the second grate is 4" from the top, and the third grate is 7" from the top.
gold-mini2.jpg

Chad, Have you used another bottom from a SJ for a lid? How well does that fit?

The fit is good. I used three clips,to keep the bowl from slipping off. The seal is good too and the bowl and pot lip are the same size.

Back