Cleaning, Some Questions & the Perfect Bite

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
Today was spring cleaning for the Weber Brothers. I dismantled the WSM, Performer, and OTG and did a good cleaning on all three. It took much longer than I had expected.

As the weather breaks a bit from the cold snowy winter, I am putting the deck together for the entertaining season. It's not that I haven't been smoking and grilling all winter, but the deck needed some attention. Out came some new toys.

I finally picked up a grill mat for the Performer, so now each grill has a mat.

I also had purchased some charcoal holders for the Performer. I tried them out for the first time tonight.

I have used two charcoal grates to keep the lump from falling through. The extra grate raised the charcoal to the cooking grate. Even had I removed it, it seems the charcoal would still be real close.

My T-bone was a bit charred on one end. I imagine I will relegate the holders to the OTG to use with the rotisserie, but I would be interested in hearing how others make use of these holders.

Also, while cleaning I decided there is something wrong with the Performer. Shouldn't the charcoal bin lid on the SS model stand up on its own? Mine requires me to hold the lid to fetch anything from inside. It appears the rod the the lid pivots on is bent. Have others experienced this? Anything I can do short of replacing the rod?

Finally, while a bite or two of the sirloin was a bit done, the rest was spectacular! It was accompanied with grilled sweet potatoes and an onion cored and filled with beef bouilion and butter and a nice cabernet.

4412573876_80738c60b9.jpg

I only use the baskets when doing indirect with either the baskets on opposite sides or one basket on one side. I use a small minion start to get about 250 degree lid temp for ribs and a little bigger minion start for a 350 degree lid temp for rotisserie chicken. I also use a water pan or drip pan in between the baskets.

Back