Propane choices ... no contest

R. Ryan

TVWBB Member
New WSM smoker user in Texas. May still use the several years ago propane fueled Q grill at times. Had been using 20# bottles which lasted forever. And inconvenient to carry. But the refill here is just $12. Found out today that HEB charges $42 for a new 5# bottle and the exchange, same as refill, is $16. Yikes. I think I will get another 20# refill and keep burning for two or three years on it.

Yes, I am putting the Q and the propane far away from the WSM and charcoal and sparks, at the other end of the yard.

Best use I found with the Q? Put a package of bacon atop aluminum foil in the Q and it is the easiest, best bacon I have made.

Also nice to keep fish smells outdoors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R. Ryan:
New WSM smoker user in Texas. May still use the several years ago propane fueled Q grill at times. Had been using 20# bottles which lasted forever. And inconvenient to carry. But the refill here is just $12. Found out today that HEB charges $42 for a new 5# bottle and the exchange, same as refill, is $16. Yikes. I think I will get another 20# refill and keep burning for two or three years on it.

Yes, I am putting the Q and the propane far away from the WSM and charcoal and sparks, at the other end of the yard.

Best use I found with the Q? Put a package of bacon atop aluminum foil in the Q and it is the easiest, best bacon I have made.

Also nice to keep fish smells outdoors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, we are not the intended Q customer description, people who grill and bbq on a traveling basis. We grill and smoke/bbq at home only. Still, a handy pair of tools outside the kitchen.

Back