Thermometer question?

ChrisV

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of collecting the stuff I need to build my own Mini and am wondering about the thermometer? Specifically...

I plan to pick up a Maverick 732 for use with the mini. With that in mind, I'm wondering if there is really any point in buying and mounting a dial thermometer to the pot itself?

Thanks

Not really if you trust the Maverick, but I don't completely trust any digital thermometer. Probes go bad, batteries go south, units get wet, etc. That’s why I have a River Country Dial thermometer on mine. For $16 it's a cheap reliable back up if the Maverick takes a dump. Which mine did the first time I used it the original probe quit and the spare probe when belly up after an hours use. But I have to say it’s been fine ever since. Plus I think it looks cool

I don't have a dial for the same reasons - I have electronic thermometers. True, they can fail for various reasons, but dials are notorious for being inaccurate. If you do get a dial get a good one that can be calibrated. I think the "cry once" rule applies here.

I don't have a dial for the same reasons - I have electronic thermometers. True, they can fail for various reasons, but dials are notorious for being inaccurate. If you do get a dial get a good one that can be calibrated. I think the "cry once" rule applies here.

That’s why I got the River Country because it’s very very accurate and can be calibrated, it always runs within one or two degrees of the Maverick

I am going to put a dial on my mini mainly for the "cool" factor, given that dials are kinda known to be inaccurate I would not take a reading as gospel, but, they are a good and instant indicator of what is going on - fire is dead or blazing out of control (well that's the way us Brits do it!!!)

Whats the best brand of lighter fluid to use? (Puts tin hat on and runs for cover!!!)

I just stick a dial thermo through the vent hole. Side mounted dial thermos never give true readings, but good to use for referencing to keep you in the ballpark.

I couldn't resist. Love my Tel-Tru

P7140244_zpsf52b0738.jpg

Russ

I couldn't resist. Love my Tel-Tru
I was originally looking at a Tel-Tru model but seeing how I haven't spent more then $15-$20 on any other component of this smoker, it's pretty hard to justify a $40 thermometer that will basically be used as a back up gauge. The River Country model seems a little more in line price wise. After thinking about it and reading more about how the Maverick isn't always the most reliable, I've decided a dedicated gauge does make sense. Thanks guys.

Back