Texans Mini WSM

Ryan Olson

Hey Y'all! I have toyed with building a smoker for a long time, but could never bring myself to do it for practicality purposes. Most smokers are for intended for large groups, and its just me and the Mrs. at home. Until I found the mini WSM! And with the NFL season beginning soon, I know I had to have one. So I purchased the SJS and the Imusa pot from the HEB here locally. I had an old mini kettle grill that I had tossed a few years back, but amazingly, had the foresight to keep the grates. I also had some SS bolts and other odds and ends to complete the project. I had to crimp the Imusa pot, but it was easy enough with some woodworking clamps...5 minutes tops with no damage to the pot itself.

k6v7.jpg

Little guy in action. Settled in at 235 in about 20 minutes. Very easy to maintain temps on a warm Houston day.

6ufn.jpg

Just for a test run, threw one baby rack on, cut in half. Rubbed with Coopers dry rub (from the Hill Country here in Texas), added a bit of ancho chili powder for some kick. Went 3-1-1 method and they turned out great. Put some homemade BBQ sauce on 10 minutes before I pulled em off.

wk6c.jpg

This thing is crazy efficient. I didn't know how much charcoal to use, so I put a full bottom in...this is what was left after the 5-6 hours. Minimal ash.

zqsd.jpg

Nice smoke ring.

wxc6.jpg

Pulled off the bone like butter and obviously, they tasted pretty good too.

jnvi.jpg

Thanks to everyone who posted their builds for advice!

Looks really good, well done! I'm doing my second rack of Saint Louis ribs today for the wife and I. Going to try a 2-2-1/2 and see how it goes. First time I did a 3-2-1 and can you say overdone. You're spot on about the size it's just me and the wife too and it's the perfect size.

Last edited:
Was excited enough about the ribs, that threw a small Boston butt on today. Been on about 9 hours or so...will take off in another hour or two. But one load of charcoal has sat at 225-250 the whole time. Will post some pics when done.

Realized my last post didnt save.

Pic of the small boston butt. Look at that bark! Maybe only 3 lbs when it went on. Used lump charcoal this time with apple wood chunks. Was on about 12 hours total at 225-240...had to stir the coals once as ash had built up. Pulled off at 195, wrapped, and let sit till 202...fell apart like butta! Tasted great...and still amazed at how well this little smoker can handle business.

8r6e.jpg

Looks great! I've only done two racks of St Louis on mine, a boston butt is next weekend. Like you I'm truly amazed at how well it works.

Back