Spares on the 22

That "They Fit" photo is almost enough to make me buy the 22. Almost.
icon_wink.gif

Using the expanded metal for the smaller do you find it takes longer for the smoker to get up to temp?

Also, how much cook time where you able to get out of that load of lump?

The only thing that has me on the fence about the 22" is that for a small family, its would not be efficient fuel-wise.

I was up to temp in about 20 minutes. Now this cook it did use all of the fuel in about 6 - 7 hours. I also could have loaded more fuel at the start, but this was just ribs. I was facing some pretty nasty wind conditions as you can see I had to use my drum wind break.

I just have a couple of questions:

First, interesting way to cut the spares. I guess you left on some sternum as my ribs tend to get smaller near the tail end.

Second, in your professional opinion, if you added a 3rd grate to the 22", cut off the tail end of 6 spares, then laid out all of the sternum pieces where ever there is room, do you think all of that meat could fit on the 22" without going past the water pan? I'm looking to cook 6 spares at one time. It's nice you have a Backwoods, I was thinking of getting the Chubby with two extra shelves but just too expensive right now.

Thanks,
Howard

Just big ribs. The sternum part was completely trimmed.

As to your question, adding a third rack, yes you could do 3 ribs on each rack laid flat and on the third put all of your trimmings. But with a rib rack you should be able to fit 6 racks without having to curl and not mess with adding a third.

Back