refresh option for light page

Steve_M

TVWBB Guru
Any chance of getting a configurable refresh option for the /lm/light page? I don't need the full graph on my phone, but I'd like to have the light page refresh.

I've added:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5" />

to /usr/lib/lua/luci/view/linkmeter/light.htm, but I have a feeling that will get reverted by a system update.

You'd better believe it will get reverted!

The light page is designed for dumb phones, and dumb phones don't usually have data plans so the reason it doesn't refresh automatically is because of bandwidth restrictions. I'd put a checkbox on it to allow it to turn on and off, but I don't think dumb phones support javascript either so you'd be stuck with a non-functional checkbox on the platform the page was designed to support. You can see the conundrum here.

Maybe once LinkMeter has it's own configuration page this will make it in.

I usually just use my "clever" phone to get a quick snapshot of what the pit is doing, so manual refresh works fine for me, I was super happy just to get this light page added so I can check in while on the run...

...but as time has gone bye I've been wishing I could SET the pit temp from this light page. I would like to have the ability to lower the pit to a "hold" temp if I am unable to get back to it on time....

I didn't have the guts to ask for that though, after Bryan so graciously created the light page I thought it best just to say "thanks". However, perhaps it's best for me to put the idea on the table along with your suggestion to make the light page refresh itself.....

Fair enough.

My goal is to use the light page on mine and my wife's iphones when we're using the HM as a glorified wireless thermometer, rather than a long cook monitor. The light page provides enough data without the need for a graph to tell if the meat is at the right temperature.

I'm not sure what your phone is capable of, Ralph, but does the login page work? Changing the setpoint would require you to be logged in, and if it can't do that then we're boned.

Fair enough.

My goal is to use the light page on mine and my wife's iphones when we're using the HM as a glorified wireless thermometer, rather than a long cook monitor. The light page provides enough data without the need for a graph to tell if the meat is at the right temperature.

Don't know if PitDroid will be ported over to iPhone, but I use PitDroid on my android phone to give me temps. I also set alarms on it so they would go off while I was sleeping during an overnight cook.
If you set the password for the HM, pitDroid will allow you to change the temp.

Here's the problem with page refresh with allowing changing the setpoint: the page keeps refreshing while you're trying to type in a new setpoint. I can't use javascript to stop it, because there's no javascript as part of the page design. I might just set the refresh time to 30 seconds which should allow enough time to change the setpoint in between refreshes. Wow, how did the web get along without all this stuff?

Personally, I'm happy with the "light" page being read-only. It's a nice way to keep an eye on the HM on smaller screens.

Welp, it can't be both ways. The pages are within a few pixels of the same height and is identical except the setpoint is an edit box instead of just text. I'll go with refresh every 10 seconds if you're not logged in, 30 seconds if you are.

Back