Father's Day Surf-N-Turf (pics)

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
My father's, a transplanted Bostonian, favorite diner is lobster. This year I decided to do surf-n-turf for Father's day. Steamed lobsters and Tri-tip with a lettuce wedge Caesar salad.

The set up:
Lobsters: Full chimney of lit K in the bottom section of the WSM, ember grate from my firepit resting on top of the charcoal ring and the pot from my turkey fryer on that as the lobster pot.
Tri-tip: Followed the Tri-tip recipe from the recipe section on this site, modified for the kettle.

Tri-tip rubbed down:

Tri-tip on:

Ready to eat:
Sorry no pics of the rest of the cook...too busy cooking.

My dad and me:
Awful picture of me!

My sous-chef and me:

Great meal, great company and a fun cook. Next time I will try to boil the lobsters instead of steam them (this was the first time we had ever steamed them). We all agreed that, although the food was great, we like boiled lobsters better.

Go Sox!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

nice pics Don Cash.

I tried both boiled and steamed lobsters but i actually like the steamed ones because i find they are better when they are not filled with water.

But i have an indoor small electric steamer that is very easy to use. i put the live lobsters in for 18 mins and they are done. We dont put any seasoning on the lobsters but have a hot butter oil and seasoning sauce dip on the side.

But although i prefer steamed, i will eat lobster any way they are cooked because i love them so much. They are also my favorite food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
i put the live lobsters in for 18 mins and they are done. We dont put any seasoning on the lobsters but have a hot butter oil and seasoning sauce dip on the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I asked the fish monger how long to cook them and he told me 14 minutes.I asked my dad and he said 8-10 but he thought I was boiling them. I went with the 14 minutes and, although they were done they were pretty hard to get out of the shells. We all agreed that they needed more time in the steam...4 minutes more probably would have been perfect.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Beautiful meal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Coming from you, that means a lot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and family Don!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks!...and I would agree
icon_wink.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Just reminiscing...
This is one of the first posts I remember viewing before I joined TVWBB... and Don (Money) Cash is STILL posting outstanding cooks!

Happy Father's Day Don! and to all the Dad's out there!

Back