Tuscan/Italian grilled ribs

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
My wife suggested I make these tomorrow, so she started sifting through her billion or so recipes and couldn't find where she filed it (or if she even ever had a recipe for these).

So I took over and found some stuff online, but it wasn't exactly what we were looking for.

Anybody have any ideas or recipes for Tuscan or Italian grilled ribs?

J,

When I read 'Tuscan' and 'Italian grilled ribs' I thought of Dario Cecchini. If you aren't familiar with Dario, he's a one man industry unto himself. The Dante quoting 'worlds most famous butcher' has been written up in many articles and books. For an interesting take on him, read Bill Bufford's Heat.

Personally I haven't ever cooked Tuscan style ribs. Here's 2 options for you. One with a dry rub and one with a marinade. . From what I've read about Dario, my guess he would keep the recipe very simple so the meat stands out. I'd opt for the dry rub version using fresh herbs and good lump charcoal.

Paul

Very Interesting recipes on those links Paul K,
Id go so far as to say that, That is how the Australian palate likes there ribs and other similar cuts.
The Italians and Greeks had a real impact on our contemporary modern cooking and what I saw of those two wet and dry methods, That is the way most of Australian BBQ is done.
We also lapped up the Asian influence and that is a whole story in itself.
Having cooked in the way described above, My new interest is doing it USA style, Its been heaps of fun learning.
Do yourself a flavour and search out Greek slow cooked lamb or goat.

I think I'm going to salt them this morning and rub them with sage/garlic/olive oil. Before I grill them, I'm going to hit them with a dry rub with pepper and a smidge of fennel.

I'll try to post some pics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm going to hit them with a dry rub with pepper and a smidge of fennel.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iirc, Dario and other Italians are big on fennel with their grilled meat. Let us know how it turns out.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let us know how it turns out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

will do. here's where I'm at:

my wife found the recipe at it turns out that, after reading it, she prefers my flow. But it was nice to get something solid to work from so I wasn't totally making this up.

I generously salted 3 half racks (back).

While that was in the fridge, I made a pesto like rub of minced garlic and sage and enough evoo to make it wet.

Let the ribs and pesto hang out for 40 min or so before rubbing the ribs with the pesto.

While that was going, I made a simple, coarse ground rub of black pepper and fennel. I'll sprinkle that on before they go on the kettle.

Back