First cook on my new mini almost perfect

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well I did my first cooking adventure on my new Mini. I did a rack of pork loin ribs using the 3-2-1 method with a minion start (first time I’ve done both of these and use of any kind of smoker). I used about 2/3 of a chimney of KBB and two chunks of apple wood.
I was quite surprised when I put about 10 hot coals in the center to start the charcoal that the Mini came up to 225 in about 15 minutes and I shut the bottom vent to about 1/4 open and the top vent wide open and it settled in right there. We had some wind and I had to open it up a little and it resettled at about 235-240 and stayed there for the rest of the cook. I didn't need to do a refill coal lasted 6 hours with at least another hours worth.
To be quite honest I couldn’t be happier, if all my cooks go this way what more could I ask for. It’s the perfect size for two people and doesn’t eat charcoal like a big smoker and best of all it seems to make really good eats.

UPDATE:

Made the idiotic mistake of putting the ribs in tin foil immediately after taking them off and rapping them up in towels and putting them into a cooler at 4pm because it was too early to eat. When I was in the shower at 5:30 it dawned on me that they were still cooking. Oh crap! When I opened them up you could just pull a bone out of the meat, way over done, but at least not dry. Still a success but not what I had wished for. Very tender but way over done, failure of the cook, but not the Mini.

Smoked ribs with homemade BBQ sauce, grilled corn on the bone, homemade BBQ beans, an ice cold Sammy’s, it doesn’t get any better, just doesn’t. Even if it was a little overdone. The wife’s homemade peach pie will make up for it.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my sometimes dumb new guy questions, but your responses made what happened today an almost complete success and I appreciate it very much.

Below some pictures of the festivities

Mini with its big brothers who are there to support its first cook (and back up if needed).

firstsmoke012_zps13c4821b.jpg

firstsmoke001_zps44605bf1.jpg

firstsmoke007_zpsb135d6ba.jpg

One of our two Golden Retrievers who decided that whatever smelled so good needed to be guarded.

firstsmoke016_zps3305916b.jpg

firstsmoke014_zps8083cd61.jpg

firstsmoke022_zps784c3ace.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Rich, what size thermometer did you use? I am slowly gathering the bits for a mini and have decided on the River Country gauge, the size you used just looks perfect but I can't tell if it's a two inch or a three inch gauge

Hey Rich, what size thermometer did you use? I am slowly gathering the bits for a mini and have decided on the River Country gauge, the size you used just looks perfect but I can't tell if it's a two inch or a three inch gauge

Hi, Its the two inch. I have two of these and they are both very accurate. I used my friends Maverick to check them and when mine read 250 his Maverick read 251. Just beware you have to drill a 1/2 hole to mount it. On both my performer and the mini I used a couple of layers of blue tape and started with a 1/8 drill bit and worked my up using 5 or 6 larger bits to get to 1/2, worked perfect on both. A step bit would be ideal but I used what I had.

Hi, Its the two inch. I have two of these and they are both very accurate. I used my friends Maverick to check them and when mine read 250 his Maverick read 251. Just beware you have to drill a 1/2 hole to mount it. On both my performer and the mini I used a couple of layers of blue tape and started with a 1/8 drill bit and worked my up using 5 or 6 larger bits to get to 1/2, worked perfect on both. A step bit would be ideal but I used what I had.

Thanks for the reply and the information, I will be ordering one early next week - thats another part sorted, next piece to get is the pot (kinda important I understand!!) Just got to wait for a decent discount from the place you got yours from. Thanks again.

looks great. one suggestion is to maybe put a metal pan or foil on top of the table just in case.

George, you're right I do need a drip pan just in case, but if you look at the picture with the dog I have the cutout bottom of the steamer pot under the mini + I've got a 10" pie pan as an ash catcher. That table is my wifes hobby table and I screw that up I'll be in deep bandini. Hopefully I'll have my mini table built soon and all will be well.

Back