first smoke on 22.5

Steven H

First smoke was a pork tenderloin about 1 1/4lb. It was a free range loin from PolyFace Farm in Shenadoah Valley area of VA. Made all the 1st time mistakes. Did 1 chimney Kingsford, was worried wouldn't be hot enough so added 1/2 chimney (2/3?) of lump. WSM was under cover, but in direct sunlight. Overnight marinade of honey, montreal seasoning, sage, and garlic. Smoker was at 350 when tenderloin was put in. Couldn't get it any lower. Added on fistsized piece of apple wood. Read somewhere if bottom was all closed to crack top open ( now i think they were talking about cold smoking!) Temps went up to 450+ couple times (separate thermo). Was shooting for a 140 internal temp, then sear on the Smokey Joe at 650 and get internal temp of 160. Well 20 minutes into smoke all the vents top and bottom are shut down and internal temp is 140. Decided better go to 155 internal. After 45 minutes internal was 151 and WSM stabilized at 250 (fire out?). Never turned loin over. Started fat side down. It looked pretty good! Nice and caramelized and medium brown. Over to the SJ for a good sear. Thought 10 min one side and 8 minutes second with 160 internal would do it. Came out after preparing a batch of sauté asparagus (straight from my garden) with garlic and bacon and internal temp was 198!!! Flipped tenderloin over on second side about 3 minutes. Boy this is bad. Let it rest (minute or less!!!) and sliced it thin. Could see a light smoke ring and it appeared juicy inside. Slapped it on a plate with the asparagus and ate it up! Slight hint of apple smoke and tender and juicy!! So either I'm a great cook (hardly) or pork tenderloin is VERY forgiving of idiots. Can't wait to cold smoke cheese and bacon!

Well sounds like you did well on your first outing and saved the day
icon_smile.gif

I'm new to the WSM also but from what I have read on these forums is that pork tends to be a very forgiving piece of meat.

Yeah, I love my 22.5. You'll be looking for things to smoke: pork butt, brisket, chickens, old shoes, sausages, etc. Enjoy the addiction.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back