Probe dropping out?

John Case

TVWBB Member
The HM4 is running. First time cook I"m doing an overnight pork butt right now.

So far working very well, with 1 little problem...

I'm using the probes from the Maverick ET-732, the pit probe is working flawlessly, but the food probe is dropping out every once in a while?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Yeah the wiki somewhat talks about this, but I believe the ET-732 are fundamentally flawed in their design. The metal braid isn't connected to the "shield" wire but also aren't completely insulated from it either. This causes their resistance to change as things touch them. I've yet to figure out how they get them to work reliably at all. If you solder a wire between the braid and the shield of the pin, to ground the braid, they seem to work much better.

Aha! Found it. Here's the picture of what Ralph did to solve it. I need to get this into the wiki before I lose it again
732.jpg

thanks Bryan,
This cook is kicking my A$$, and its still going. The probe has actually not been an issue other then 4 times it dropped out for about 30 seconds each time.

I'll be posting everything into the HM Graph section. Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light.

Put butt on at 10pm last night... still only up to 168, I know about the stall. But temp. problems through the night.

John

Back