Condition = Critical

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Picked this old girl up off the sidewalk where she had a "Free - works great!" sign on her. She's in real bad shape: "character" marks that are rusted, all three support screws are very badly rusted (won't turn at all), the sidewall has given away a bit at one of the support attachment points, handle is severely off kilter, etc. But, I'm going to give it a go anyway. I've got the support screws soaking, though I may need some PB Blaster or a drill to get these out. She'll likely need a new paint job on the exterior, and possibly some sort of patch. If nothing else, she can donate some parts.

She's an "M" code SJG, think a good thought for her.

Rich

Soccer%20week%203%202010%20017.JPG

Soccer%20week%203%202010%20018.JPG

looks good to me, all the parts are there. as to the bolts for the legs, i would just cut them off with a dremel and use sss hardware. as to the handle, take it off, sand and treat it with some mineral oil. the support can be straightened out easily. just take a wood dowl and from inside the lid, take a hammer to the dowl to pound out the bend in the lid first. then take a hammer or big pair of pliers to the support and bend the support back into alignment. the objective is to get the support straight without ripping it off the lid. easy as you go. i would just clean the metal/porcelain with some oven cleaner and then some soap and 0000 steel wool. any rust spots i just treat with pam and let it carry its wounds proudly. rebend the legs and yer good to got for years of service. either that or ship it to me. free
icon_eek.gif

Don't worry, George, not giving up yet. I gave this little grill a thorough washing (including getting what looks like stucco overspray off of it), and started on the rusty bolts. After four dremel cutting discs, I have two bolts off. Sadly, the one that also supports the slide aside assembly is the one where the bowl itself has been rusted through. It's likely that getting that bolt completely off will leave a hole in the bowl (somewhat larger than the bolt hole.) I will keep going and see where I end up. I'm guessing I can come up with some sort of patch if I need to.

More to come on this one.

Rich

Hey, when you get her all polished up you might carve out an exotic wood replacement handle and get some of that 1200F Engine paint from the auto supply store. They make it in some pretty loud colors, you know. Oh, and a couple of big washers will go a long way towards covering up any 'oversized holes' from drilling out the rusted bits.

rich, just use two wide ss fender washers at the rusted section. will last the life of the sj. as to dremel cut off discs, i don't really use the regular cut off disc's. they are close to useless. use the reinforced ones.

George, funny you say that about the discs. Disintegrated three of the regular ones, and the one reinforced one I had did most of the work. Just needed one more to get 'er done!

No work on this project today. Too much to do with an 11 yr-old's birthday.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Rich

i think they throw in those junk discs so they can say it has 1,000 accessories. they are handy on my little cordless unit when i'm doing touchy work but for real work they are just about useless. the reinforced ones do quick work of bolts that i've had to cut.

I would not be afraid to break out the welder and plug those holes. Just remember to cut back to solid metal and don't try to weld the rust.

My wife would know I'm off my rocker if I bought a welder to fix the free smokey joe I rescued from the curb!!
icon_smile.gif
Once I figure out how bad the damage is, I'll MacGyver a patch out of something!
icon_smile.gif

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich G:

Soccer%20week%203%202010%20017.JPG

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A distant cousin...

bob.jpg

Back