Pros & Cons of diffuser location

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I’m in the build state of my Mini and I was wondering what those of you who have completed a build think of having the diffuser plate at the very bottom of the pot or up on the ridge. Pros and cons, being on the bottom would limit the amount of charcoal you could use, but you could gain a few inches between the cooking grates if using two or more. My pot (vasconia) has the bottom cut out with a 1” ridge to keep it rigged. I plan on having two cooking grates.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I set my 9" diffuser tray on top of the bottom grate which sits in the steamer ridge. This seems to be consistent with what most are doing.

I set my 9" diffuser tray on top of the bottom grate which sits in the steamer ridge. This seems to be consistent with what most are doing.

Thanks for the reply, thats my thought too, but I have seen some the other way. I would think that with it on the bottom it might restrict the airflow somewhat too. Just want to make sure before I start drilling holes for the cooking racks.

i use the plate that comes with the pot in its intended position. there is still enough room to run two racks. but it all depends on what you want to cook at the same time.
to me it seems that many really try to push the limits of these things and then get disappointed. try it the simple way first and once you have it nailed then you can start pushing the limits with two racks and all the other stuff. i like it simple as intended so i use one rack and i'm happy.

I started with a charcoal grate sitting on the very bottom of the pot and a pie plate on top of that. Loaded up the charcoal ring for a long smoke and there wasn't enough room. I have since moved the diffuser set up a bit (still below the ridge) and added 3 bolts to hold it in place. Seems to work better for me than sitting on the very bottom.

I started with a charcoal grate sitting on the very bottom of the pot and a pie plate on top of that. Loaded up the charcoal ring for a long smoke and there wasn't enough room. I have since moved the diffuser set up a bit (still below the ridge) and added 3 bolts to hold it in place. Seems to work better for me than sitting on the very bottom.

Chad ,
when you say
Very bottom of the pot
you are NOT referring to the steamer ridge, correct?

I agree with George , instead of using the actual steamer insert I placed a lower charcoal grate there and it supports my diffuser/water/drip pan. i only had to drill one set of holes at 4" from top for the main cooking grate. I can't see myself needing much more than that.

Last edited:
I agree with George , instead of using the actual steamer insert I placed a lower charcoal grate there and it supports my diffuser/water/drip pan. i only had to drill one set of holes at 4" from top for the main cooking grate. I can see myself needing much more than that.

The charcoal grate will slip past the steamer rim in my IMUSA pot with barely a nudge. So I put bolts just below that to hold the grate with a 9" cake pan as my diffuser.

The charcoal grate will slip past the steamer rim in my IMUSA pot with barely a nudge. So I put bolts just below that to hold the grate with a 9" cake pan as my diffuser.

Interesting. On my VMI steamer pot, the ridge is fairly deep and my lower grate seats well and stable.

I guess the different steamer pots have slightly different designs and your solution of the support bolts is good idea and necessary for some

After looking at all the comments I decided to go with an 18 ½” kettle charcoal grate resting on the steamer ridge with a 9”cake pan for a diffuser. My first cooking grill is 4” down from the lip and instead of going down 3 1/2“for the second cooking grill I did 2 ½” my thinking is the second grill is mostly going to only be good for ribs and other flat items with the top grill on. So by doing it this way I get the second grill up more toward the middle of the pot instead of right on top of the diffuser which hopefully it will get a better heat and smoke distribution and with the top grill off I have 6 ½” to the top of the pot for larger items.
Time will tell if I guessed right, but as a couple of you folks said it’s a small smoker and you can’t get ten pounds into an eight pound smoker.
Thanks to all of you for responding to my question as I now see there are so many variations to the mini that it just makes sense to customize it to what you think you’ll do the most with it. For me it’s ribs, pork butt, small roasts and maybe just maybe if I can find a small turkey….YUM!

Last edited:
Interesting. On my VMI steamer pot, the ridge is fairly deep and my lower grate seats well and stable.

I guess the different steamer pots have slightly different designs and your solution of the support bolts is good idea and necessary for some

The cooking grate for the SJS fits perfectly on the steamer ridge. But both of the 18.5" charcoal grates I have go through.
It's one of those fits that the angle is hard to hit manually. But it's too easy for Mother-Nature.

Back