Who likes SMD?

M Miller

TVWBB Fan
SMD HM4 with servo and blower outputs.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6yPgtXXa9tXV2c4SU55c0o2aDg&usp=sharing

HM4 was just too crowded for a Servo output.

Take a look, and if I made a mistake let me know. Otherwise I'm sending them out to fab @ the end of the week.

I'll make a small PCB to grab the other end of the audio cable and break it out into a 3-pin header for easy servo control.

Matt

mEsSEHM.png

WifSNxf.png

Last edited:
The HM4 board is crowded? Tell me about it!

Cool though. Do you have a fab that's going to place your components too, or are you going to do that yourself?

nah. homebrew. gonna cut a stencil with my vinyl cutter. we'll see how that goes.

gonna give itead a try. their boards are pretty good, but not as nice as laen's, but you can't beat the price. we'll see how they do.

i was gonna toss in thermocouple support via MAX31855 on P11, but didn't.

To be truthful, I actually prefer SMD. Once you lay out the components, you slide it on a hotplate and look for the solder paste to turn silver. Then pick it up - simple, simple to do.

I tend to screw up PTH since I'm not patient :).

So I went and tossed thermocouple support in. I used the standard connectors, but was thinking of using screw-down terminals instead.

And it should be hand-solderable after. so it can be added if/when it's supported in the code.

POosg9f.png

ehym0vX.png

I really like the idea of having a servo header on the board, and thermocouple support would be outstanding.... However, I've never assembled a SMD board and wonder how doable that will be for the average guy?

BTW, what kind of connectors are you using for the servo and blower? Is there any chance you could support the use of a phone jack that would have output for the servo and the blower together in the one jack?

Back