Start of my Mini

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My favorite brown truck showed up with my new Vasconia pot this morning. Now I can start the assembly of my mini WSB. First of all a test fit, bottom perfect!!! Top perfect!!!
Life is good! I will say that it’s true what the folks have said about the Vasconia pot it’s well built and fits like a glove.
I have read and reread all the great threads on the mini and I will use some of the methods and ideas posted on them for my build. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your builds with the forum. It really helps those of us who are somewhat mechanically challenged.
SmokeyJoe005_zps257d78c6.jpg

Rich, where did you get the Vasconia pot from?

Ooops, got the info from the other thread. I saw that offer and was afraid it wouldn't fit!! Darn it!!

Last edited:
Rich, where did you get the Vasconia pot from?

Ooops, got the info from the other thread. I saw that offer and was afraid it wouldn't fit!! Darn it!!

Hi, I understand that Pfaltzgraff does those discount all the time at least thats what I was told, they swing between 20-50%, so just bookmark the website and check every few days. I saved over $15.00 well worth it.
Good Luck

I just completed my first build and cooked with it. I documented most of the steps in my post http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?43512-My-Mini-paint-finish-issue-(corrected)-with-pics-(prototype). I used the IMUSA pot on my first mini and just received the Vasconia pot today. Now that I've done the trial and error phase, I know just what I'll do for this one. Have fun!

Thanks for the reply your build was one I watched along with lots of others. Loved the idea of the multi colors for the logo, thats an idea I've kept for mine.
Hey I'm sure I'll trip and fall a coulple times with this one too. If you are having fun and learn something new you're doing it right.

Well I’ve finished my mini. I decided to go with an 18 ½” kettle charcoal grate resting on the steamer ridge with a 9”cake pan for a diffuser. My first cooking grill is 4” down from the lip and instead of going down 3 1/2“for the second cooking grill I did 2 ½” my thinking is the second grill is mostly going to be only good for ribs and other flat items even at 3 ½” with the top grill on. So by doing it this way I get the second grill up more toward the middle of the pot instead of right on top of the diffuser which hopefully it will get a better heat and smoke distribution and with the top grill off I have 6 ½” to the top of the pot for larger items. Here are some pictures of the build, although it’s much like a lot of other builds noting spectacular.
Thanks to all of you who answered a lot of questions I had involving this build on my other posts.

One last question, my first cooking adventure will be Sunday and I’m doing a rack of Saint Louis style ribs to break it in. How much charcoal should I start with I plan on using the “tin can Minion” method. Again thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

minismoker007_zps179e017c.jpg

minismoker008_zpsff210230.jpg

minismoker009_zps4e9f8727.jpg

minismoker_zpsf62aeaf1.jpg

minismoker015_zps9ca7c11f.jpg

Last edited:
nice ! whats that on the top lid ? and i loke yer ash pan setup. one thing you will find with that setup is that any grease dropping down will burn and the smoke from that isn't the best. its why i went to a clay dish to cut that down. but just try differant things and you will find what works for you.

nice ! whats that on the top lid ? and i loke yer ash pan setup. one thing you will find with that setup is that any grease dropping down will burn and the smoke from that isn't the best. its why i went to a clay dish to cut that down. but just try differant things and you will find what works for you.

George, Thanks for the tip. I have an 12" terracota pot saucer I can try.

Back