Runaway temps? Cheap fix/long story....

RalphTrimble

TVWBB Diamond Member
I started out using the Heater Meter on a typical cheapo water smoker, with the air vents closed off and fan blowing through my "air burner" it worked like a charm, holds the temperature like magic!

Here is a picture of my home made "air burner" that I made out of 3/4" copper.
AirBurner.jpg

I love this cheap smoker cause it holds temps rock solid, and it just takes a tiny piece of paper set afire with a lighter to get going. I like to amaze other grill cooks by ripping a small piece of the charcoal bag then crumble it up and throw it in the pan, then pile a bunch of lump coal on top and light just the smallest corner of the paper with a lighter. I immediately assemble the smoker on top and move on with prep, they always ask "Do you really think that's gonna light?". I point at the smoke and say "where there's smoke there's fire!" and a few minutes later the smoker is up to temperature thanks to the Heater Meter...

Then I got a Kamado grill, I tried to use the Heater Meter but I always ended up with runaway temperatures, even with the top vent nearly closed. (too closed...) I tried restricting the opening for the fan to reduce the pathway for draft, helped a bit but it was still difficult to maintain a low and slow cook temp....

So this week I setup a servo damper (instead of using the blower) and finally I can easily achieve and maintain low and slow temps in this Kamado grill. The servo damper does the job, however, bringing the grill to temp is painfully slow compared to the blower driven system. I guess I was just used to the fast response and hold with the blower on the cheapo smoker (that leaks heat and burns coal like a train going up a mountain!) and wanted the best of both worlds... Fast recovery AND the ability to maintain low and slow, or not so low temps...

I know the issue with maintaining low temps in a Kamado style grill is their incredible efficiency with the coals, just a little fire makes a lot of heat, a big fire makes TOO MUCH heat for low and slow cooking. Since the Heater Meter fan does not have a damper to stop convection draft of air when the fan is not blowing, the fire can continue to stoke itself and runaway temperatures result. I have heard the Auber fan has a gravity damper that is effective enough to control the draft and maintain low and slow temps in a Kamado grill, so I had plans to design and create a gravity damper with my new 3D printer.... Then something much easier and really cheap fell into place and it works like a charm! Check it out...

I went to Home Depot and bought two 1" PVC couplers, a 1" PVC to 3/4" threaded adapter and a 3/4" copper to male thread adapter as pictured below.
PingPongValveParts.jpg

Total cost about $3.50.... I already had the short piece of 1.5" PVC pipe needed, add another buck and a half if you need to buy a stick, you're still only up to 5 bucks! Now just add a ping pong ball and push it all together and there you have it, a cheap and effective gravity damper valve!

Here is an exploded view of the parts as assembled...
PingPongValveExView.jpg

Here is a picture of the whole thing put together, the copper end goes to your grill adaptor....
PingPongValveAssembled.jpg

If the ball gets pushed up high enough to hit the top coupler it will seal and stop the air flow (when it should be full blast), so I cut a couple slots in the top coupler to allow air to flow around the ball...
PingPongValveSlot.jpg

I found it only took a small amount of draft to lift the ping pong ball and allow air to flow, so I drilled a hole in the ball and put a little bit of salt inside to add some weight to help it resist the draft, then taped over the hole in the ball to keep the salt in. I am doing the first test with it now, with the current amount of salt in the ball I find it lifts up and air flows when the fan speed hits about 30%, so I set the minimum fan speed to 30%. When the fan goes off the ball drops and so does the temperature!

Here is a graph showing two swift recoveries to a setpoint of 275 degrees, then I ramp the setpoint down to 250, then to 225, response is pretty good I would say...
PingPongValveGraph1.jpg

Here is a graph of then ramping up to 275, and then 350...
PingPongValveGraph2.jpg

Gotta love that hard stop at the setpoint, no runaway temps here! If you have changed over from the blower to the damper system that swift upward turn right after the setpoint has changed is probably a sight for sore eyes! I know I was frustrated waiting for response with the damper system, however grateful the temperatures weren't getting away from me... but this new valve is just kickin butt!

Here is a graph showing the lid open and recovery twice, the grill comes RIGHT back to the target temp FAST....
PingPongValveGraph3.jpg

The second time I left the lid open a bit longer allowing air to flood the grill and get that fire stoking to see if that would cause overshoot. When I closed the lid I immediately turned off Lid Open mode and let the fan start stoking, what had been a HUGE No-No in the past as major runnaway temps always result. With this new valve leaving the lid open was no problem, it did overshoot the temp a bit but only 9 degrees max for a duration of less than 3 minutes, then it was right back on target....

The above graphs are from my first test which I did tonight, the top vent was opened to about 2 and the Heater Meter is using the stock PID settings. The results are astonishing, after much frustration I have conquered the Kamado and the Heater Meter magic is back! The temps rise rapidly to the setpoint and hit a hard ceiling, I dont think Ive seen 1 degree overshoot. It seems to level off a degree or two low actually, which is not really a problem, but it could probably be tuned up to be right on the nut with a little PID settings tweak....

I'm pretty sure this cheap and simple valve can be tuned to work on just about any grill, just add enough salt to the ping pong ball to overcome the draft of your grill and you are in business... The biggest negative seems to be that it is a tad long, and needs to sit fairly upright. My Kamado has plenty of room for it to shoot downward about 10-15 degrees off vertical and the valve still works great, if your grill doesn't have room you just need to make the tube go up first and then come down to the valve...

I connected the Heater Meter fan to the bottom 1" coupler with an adapter I made with my 3D printer (The orange thing you see in the pictures), but there are a million simple ways you can attach your blower... tape, wood, metal, or plastic hand fashioned and sealed up with some silicone would be easy enough. Or you could buy a second 3/4" copper end and hammer it square to fit the fan.... Plenty of other ways I'm sure, dig something out of the garage or basement and be imaginative....

..and that's about it. Pretty simple, very cheap and highly effective....

Hope some of you guys give it a try and get similar results...

EDIT:
I decided to give it a go and see how small I can make the unit. I got it down to less than half the size, the plastic parts on the small version pictured below measure just over 2.5 inches long. The original prototype was pretty huge at over 8 inches long. Here is a picture to compare them....
PingPongValveShort.jpg

And here is an exploded view of the parts on the short valve....
PingPongValveShortEXP.jpg

I haven't tested the small valve yet but the theory is the same, I see no reason why it wouldn't function just like the longer one...

Edit: The short valve has been tested and does indeed function just as well as the long valve....

Last edited:
Ralph, this seems to be a great solution for very little money. I would be curious to see graphs comparing this method with the auber fan. Obviously a big investment difference. Just curious. Very inventive solution.

Wow, this is amazing. Do you have pictures of how everything is connected ?

I'll take a picture of the valve connected to my Kamado and post it today sometime. Although unless you have the same grill you'll have make up your own mounting plate for your grill. The copper end fits 3/4" copper tubing, which is what I use to mate to my grill adapter plate. If you do something different you can just change the parts on the output to match whatever you've got going....

If I can get out to the store today I am going to buy another set of parts and see how short I can make the valve by cutting all the parts down just enough to mate together....

Troy, the orange fitting is the adapter I printed to mate the Heater Meter fan to the bottom of the valve. You don't really need it, you could tape it in, or hand fashion some sort of adapter from metal, wood, plastic etc....

Ralph, this seems to be a great solution for very little money. I would be curious to see graphs comparing this method with the auber fan. Obviously a big investment difference. Just curious. Very inventive solution.

Bob, I don't have an auber fan to run a comparison, probably wouldn't have come up with this if I did... I hear the Auber Fan can manage a Kamado for low and slow cooking, I don't know how well, I do know this new valve I made seems to be about as good as it gets... I can't argue with the response, the pit stokes right up to whatever temperature you set and levels off perfectly. Once the setpoint has been reached the fan blows like a respirator and the pit temp stays rock solid....

Very nice!

This is one of those "why didn't I think of that!" ideas.

dave

Yah, I got that... I have spent a fair amount of time thinking of ways to conquer this Kamado, and had dreamed up a few different one way valves that I wanted to create with my 3D printer, I even made a quick attempt to design and print two different concepts that failed miserably. My first 3D printed design was a float type of valve, but the 3D printed parts liked to get hung up and wouldn't close down reliably. It was at that point when I came up with the idea for using a ball as a float...

It wasn't until I was digging in my change bucket yesterday and came up with a ping pong ball when the light bulb in my head lit up. I had some of the 1" couplers here that I used to make my servo damper (which was also a huge success, although I probably will never use it because it doesn't stoke the pit to temperature nearly as fast as the fan with the float valve), I noticed the ping pong ball fit nicely on top of the 1" coupler (and sealed off air flow pretty good). Then I grabbed the 1.5" PVC tube and the ball fit inside, when I realized the 1" coupler fit inside the 1.5" PVC that was all she wrote... Done deal, it was easy to see the whole concept at that point... The salt in the ball was an afterthought when I realized it floated up so easily. Next time I use the valve I am going to try it with an empty ping pong ball and see if it still works, though I'm pretty sure the draft from the grill will be able to lift the empty ping pong ball and defeat the concept. I do plan on lightening up the ball as much as possible so I can reduce the minimum fan speed down as close to 0% as possible.

Holy smokes, that's so simple but brilliant! Very nicely done.

Bryan, thanks a lot for the compliment... Since I regard you as a very brilliant fellow yourself it means a lot to me. As I recall, you gave the same compliment when you saw my "air burner" in my cheapo smoker. That's two "brilliant" comments from the master, makes me feel good, thanks....

... and thanks a bunch for working so hard on the Heater Meter, I am glad to be able to contribute something useful....

Last edited:
Well you should be proud! I've never been very good as being physically inventive, but apparently you're some sort of genius at it. You're looking at the guy who used a cardboard mockup of a fan bracket for years because he couldn't make anything better. You show up and come up with two great ideas completely outside of what all the examples were. We need people like you on the project! Thanks for sharing.

That's kinda what I do for a living. Not necessarily physical solutions always, but solving problems/accomplishing goals by defining the issue, locating possible solutions and brainstorming to refine and complete a concept to suit requirements. Sometimes integrating a couple peoples concepts together, or tweaking someones idea, or coming up with something from scratch if I am out in the wilderness on a project. I have only very basic knowledge of programming (they tought me Fortran and a little C in engineering school back in the 80's, can't believe I grew up without the internet or computers!), but I have worked with programmers guiding their concepts to suggest ways to get things done that are outside of the box. Sometimes they are WAY outside the box, but once I am reeled in by reality I usually come up with SOMETHING that works. Though I tend to just throw ideas against the wall and let the programmers knock them down until something sticks! (you probably noticed that already) It's worked out for me so far, I've been self employed for about 14 years and I've made a pretty nice liesurely life for my self... which leaves more time for me to tend to my smoker.... lol

I'm the guy you see standing in the isle at Home Depot with that far away look while I'm trying to find something that can be re-purposed to get something done... When I am asked if I need help I rarely accept, cause they usually want to know "what are you working on" which leads to a longer conversation than I want to have... lol

Last edited:
Great idea Ralph. My setup enters the smoker at a shallow angle, not quite horizontal.
I'm thinking one could add a 45 or 90 degree coupling to your PVC assy to make sure gravity works on the ball check.
Gonna have to try this myself. Thanks for the idea.

Great idea Ralph. My setup enters the smoker at a shallow angle, not quite horizontal.
I'm thinking one could add a 45 or 90 degree coupling to your PVC assy to make sure gravity works on the ball check.
Gonna have to try this myself. Thanks for the idea.

I'll try to post a pic of my "FauxMado" (Char-Griller Akorn) with the valve on it tonight. The valve was not completely vertical on my grill for the tests last night, my vent has a shallow angle as well, it leans I would guess about 15 degrees or so and worked fine.

The first thing I did to test my concept was start a pretty good fire then close the lid with the valve on the vent (no fan), leaving the top vent open as I would during a cook. I monitored the temp of the grill and waited for it to fall, if the temp starts to fall you know the valve is working. Temps fell right away for me so I connected the fan and started testing....

I would suggest you do the same, once you know you can lower the temp in your pit with the valve you are good to go. If temps still run away try some more weight in the ball or make the valve sit more upright. (and make sure you don't have other air leaks on your burn pan) After weighting down the ball test it with your HM in manual fan mode, hold the valve at the angle it sits on your grill and starting from 0 ramp up the speed of the fan until you feel air coming out the top of the vent. Return to 0 and rise back to your suspected minimum speed several times to make sure it reliably opens at that speed. Once you have determined what percent the fan needs to run to lift the ball set that as the min fan speed in the HM config....

Last edited:
Nice job Ralph. Further proof that a fan/servo combo is unnecessary in a properly constructed fan adapter.

Well, when faced with the option to either buy an over priced fan because it has a little damper in it or spend the same money on a better hardware platform with more future expand-ability, technology will always win. Even if it is more complex and does the same job, at least I have some neat hardware to show for the money and will undoubtedly learn something in the process.

Now that a third option which only costs a couple bucks is on the table I am less eager to jump into a new platform, but probably will anyway, if not just for the experience. You usually don't come up with good ideas taking the easy route...

Well, when faced with the option to either buy an over priced fan because it has a little damper in it or spend the same money on a better hardware platform with more future expand-ability, technology will always win. Even if it is more complex and does the same job, at least I have some neat hardware to show for the money and will undoubtedly learn something in the process.

Now that a third option which only costs a couple bucks is on the table I am less eager to jump into a new platform, but probably will anyway, if not just for the experience. You usually don't come up with good ideas taking the easy route...

Is that supposed to be a dig Ralph?

Is that supposed to be a dig Ralph?

Nope, not a dig at all, I was hoping you wouldn't read it that way. I'm just reflecting my reasoning and explaining why sometimes I take the long route, or a couple different routes to reach my destination....

Gotcha. Like I said, I really like it. It's simple, yet elegant. I will probably make one for my team's competition smoker when we finish it.

I got a chance to shoot a few pics of the ping/pong valve connected to my FauxMado grill tonight.

Below you see the new shortened version of the valve connected to the "Char-Griller/King Griller Kamado Kooker"....
AkornDamper.jpg

...I have a spare burn plate so I removed the manual vent on one and made a plate of copper to cover the vent opening and affixed it to the burn plate with high temp RTV sealer and the original screws from the vent. You can also see my the removable adapter I had made to fit into the existing vent. The adaptor is also made of copper sheet and 3/4" copper pipe and fittings all soldered together (with a torch like you do for plumbing) Note how the 3/4" copper is hammered sqaure, it fits right into the stock Heater Meter blower and holds pretty snug. That would work pretty well to connect the fan to this new ping/pong valve I suppose, I used the (orange) adapter I printed tonight on my 3D printer instead.

Below is a picture of the prototype valve I actually used to do the test cook last night. You can see looking at the longer valve that it was sitting at a fair angle and still worked fine.
DamperProto.jpg

It's much longer and more obtrusive, the short one is working just as well tonight. I do use my bottom shelf so the shorter the better.

Here is a picture of the whole "King Griller Kamado Kooker", or as I affectionately refer to it, the "FauxMado"...
AkornKamado.jpg

And last but not least, here is a picture of the servo damper I built....
ServoDamper.jpg

The servo damper was built with the same couplers I used for the ping/pong valve, I found them to be more round inside than PVC tubing. It had all of about 2 hours of glory as it did my first successful "low and slow" cook on this FauxMado grill, meanwhile I came up with this ping/pong valve and before I had the food off the grill the servo was gone and ping/pong took over! But the servo damper isn't headed for the dust bin, I still think using the natural draft of the fire for long cooks is the best way to go, so I will keep it around and use it when I cook something big. For shorter everyday cooks I will use the blower with the ping/pong valve....

Last edited:

Back