The Bane of My Existence...Spam Registrations

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
OK, maybe "the bane of my existence" is a bit strong. Perhaps I should say, "something I find greatly annoying"...all of the spam registrations I receive each day.

Registration for TVWBB is a two-part process. Part 1 is you filling-out the registration form and then receiving the email confirmation where you click the link to prove it's really your email address. Part 2 is me going into an admin control panel and approving or declining each registration. I'm looking at usernames and trying to determine which ones are real people and which ones are not. The ones that are bogus are trying to register for the purpose of spamming us with advertisements in posts.

You'd be surprised how many bogus registrations I have to sort through. Like 60-70 each day. Really. There must be a cottage industry in Vietnam, Belarus, China, and other countries where people just pump-out spam registrations to vBulletin sites like TVWBB. It's interesting only in the sense that I never experienced this when we were on the old Social Strata platform prior to July 2012. I guess that was one of the few advantages of Social Strata. :)

Anyway, why do I share this with you? If you made it through the registration process OK, you don't have any reason to care. But if you're a guest reading this, and you decide to register, you can do me and yourself a HUGE favor...register using a readable version of your real name, as requested on the registration form in red text. Because if you register with a username like these...

• mahabq95
  • oenhpx87
  • vanessaaa
  • Shira9419
  • Whyilytt34
  • z76aoe892
...your registration will go right into the bit bucket with the rest of the spammers. And that's a shame, because you're probably an awesome guy or gal who just wants to talk about awesome Weber products. I don't want to toss out your registration by accident, but it happens.

So help me help you by registering with a username that looks and reads like a real human name. ThankQ!

...register using a readable version of your real name, as requested on the registration form in red text.
I have noticed that if you register from a mobile device, the help text for each field is not displayed, so you don't see the red text about the real name policy. It's too bad that info is not shown to mobile users...maybe someday.

Dwain, if it's anything like any board I've been on, only way your thought could happen is if Chris gives them Admin status.

Gentlemen, I don't relish Chris's job.....mainly because I don't think I'd be able to ketchup with all the problems...so, I'm really saying....I wouldn't cut the mustard :) the cheese....yes, mustard....no.

Sorry, I had to. Thanks for all your hard work Chris. I know it's a pain in the @$$ but all your hard work and dedication is appreciated! :)

If Chris can figure out ways for me to help and not be admin and not be more work than doing it himself, I'm in.

Chris,

Have the British kitchen sales spanners tried to break in? They are constantly getting through the spam controls at another board I belong to.

Jim

Hi Chris, I don't know a lot about computers, but is there any software you could use as an add on that may help?
Thanks for all you do, behind the scenes.
Gary

Your not alone Chris, I participate in a Radio Control forum that is hit every day big time and no matter what they change these low-life's find a way back in.

I think even with the best software spammers would get through. Unless you were constantly updating the parameters on what is and isn't allowed the spammers would find a way. Just take a look at your email inbox on a daily basis. The spam filter catches some of it but not all. I had 30 spam emails in my inbox alone the other day 10 minutes after I last checked it.

Back