My Mini paint finish issue (corrected) with pics (prototype)

John Mongrue

TVWBB Member
Started my first Smoky Joe Mini last week. Purchased a SJS from a salavage store and an IMUSA pot from Target for a prototype mini for tailgating and stencil work, rack holder screws and thermo placement, stencil size and painting colr and technique. I was not happy with the outcome of the crimping on the top that was needed for the pot, even using an F clamp and light pressure going round and round for 45 minutes until the fit was just right. I cut the bottom out and will use a clay saucer and tamale steam diffuser as the heat sink. I had some issues with the paint as I either applied the coat too heavy, or too quickly. Was able to rectify the situation, mostly, by using an assorted pack of wet/dry auto sandpaper prior to applying the clear coat. Once 3 coats of clear were applied and allowed to dry a few hours, I baked the pot at 200° in the oven for 2 hours. Attached is the result. On my next pot, a Vasconia, I will user lighter paint coats many more times with light sanding between applications, and use the stencil work I like the best.
rrq6.jpg

eni0.jpg

a63p.jpg

zhvf.jpg

a7eh.jpg

cvj5.jpg

2uzy.jpg

zs8m.jpg

vr0b.jpg

fwt3.jpg

Thanks for looking and critiques and comments appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey Dude...they misspelled Crimson Tide on your cooker! LOL

(You did do a nice paint job there even though I question your choice in teams).

Hey Dude...they misspelled Crimson Tide on your cooker! LOL

(You did do a nice paint job there even though I question your choice in teams).

You know, I was expecting some "critiques" just because of that! It's all good, bro. Looking forward to another exciting year in the SEC and tailgating with pulled pork, ribs, fried turkeys, jambalaya, boudain, alligator, pastalaya and of course many cold brews.

GEAUX TIGERS!

I love it when others take on a difficult painting task. :) Nice work.
But I gotta ask --- what was the issues with the F clamp? Mine took 2 minutes and the lid fit perfectly.
After it was all done and I started using it, the lid was snug on the hot pot. Another 2 minutes and its been issue free.

what was the issues with the F clamp?

As you are aware, the aluminum is very soft and I guess I was trying to crimp it too little at a time? Perhaps the placement of the clamp was in the wrong place? Not exactly sure but I was being very methodical in my process going around and around. How do you, exactly, crimp the top of your pot?

Seasoning and cooking pics...
Firing up
uple.jpg

iwlw.jpg

Comparing analog temp and digital temp at same height in cooker...dead on
p5x8.png

1jki.jpg

and a small pour of single barrel for my hard work!
ciwh.jpg

Overall, the temp held 230° to 238° for about 45 minutes, then dropped to 208° and held there for another 30 minutes and then slowly dropped thereafter. I started with a 3/4 full of a mini chimney and then a quarter lit on top with some apple wood chunks. I pulled the clay saucer out when it was dropping from 208°, but that didn't seem to help it recover. Both vents were wide open. I have the expanded metal but need to make my charcoal basket and the bottom vent cover, and once that is done, I feel it will drive more like its older brother, the WSM. I really smoked it up good tonight and it should be ready to roll for some ribs and wings this weekend.

Thanks to the 100's of documented builds and mods on the Smoky Joe Mini. It is truly great to share and partake in this wonderful past time!

Seasoning and cooking pics...
Firing up
uple.jpg

iwlw.jpg

Comparing analog temp and digital temp at same height in cooker...dead on
p5x8.png

1jki.jpg

and a small pour of single barrel for my hard work!
ciwh.jpg

Overall, the temp held 230° to 238° for about 45 minutes, then dropped to 208° and held there for another 30 minutes and then slowly dropped thereafter. I started with a 3/4 full of a mini chimney and then a quarter lit on top with some apple wood chunks. I pulled the clay saucer out when it was dropping from 208°, but that didn't seem to help it recover. Both vents were wide open. I have the expanded metal but need to make my charcoal basket and the bottom vent cover, and once that is done, I feel it will drive more like its older brother, the WSM. I really smoked it up good tonight and it should be ready to roll for some ribs and wings this weekend.

Thanks to the 100's of documented builds and mods on the Smoky Joe Mini. It is truly great to share and partake in this wonderful past time!

Nice set up in your cooking area there!

Back